sick chicken?

edmick

Chirping
Feb 10, 2016
southern california
So yesterday I noticed my 2 year old buff orpington hen showing some strange neurological symptoms. She was twisting her head around as if confused maybe and if she put her head back to far she would fall back on her rear end. Looking up videos of newcastle disease it seemed to be exactly what she was doing so I removed her from the coop and have her in a box in the garage to monitor her. I haven't noticed the head tilting and strange movements since last night but she is having diarrhea. Another thing worth noting is that she was drinking A LOT of water but not any abnormal thirst today. I really want to put her back in the coop because shes very stressed in the box but I don't want her passing anything to my other birds (if she hasn't already). Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

It's probably not Newcastle as that's pretty much gone from this country. What your hen has is more likely wry neck, a nutrient deficiency, easily treated with vitamin E 400iu once a day until symptoms disappear. Include a little hit of selenium for quicker absorption and she'll be back to normal in no time.

You're in good company as there is another thread here today on the same topic. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rooster-neck-bent-and-flipping.1231134/ Check out the video and see if it looks familiar.

Ok so what about the diarrhea? I noticed one bowel movement today that was green. So I'm thinking coccidiosis? But would that cause the neurologic symptoms? I've been a veterinary technician for 12 years so my mind automatically thinks the worst but I don't work with chickens so I really have no idea what to make of it. I was about 2 minutes from euthanizing her last night but she started to look better so I gave her through the night to see what she would do.

They could be coincidental and not directly related. I would treat the symptoms. Like Corid, vitamin E does no harm if it's not actually the disease or disorder you've attempted to treat.

As you probably know, treatments can often help diagnose by ruling out.

They could be coincidental and not directly related. I would treat the symptoms. Like Corid, vitamin E does no harm if it's not actually the disease or disorder you've attempted to treat.

As you probably know, treatments can often help diagnose by ruling out.
Ok I appreciate the advise. She's probably one of the meanest chickens I've ever had but I would hate to lose her because she's a great layer hen. She attacks me everytime I go in the coop. Lol

Back
Top Bottom