Sick chicken

Rosanne1234

Hatching
Jun 17, 2019
84F99D09-64AF-42E5-B777-A9775781BB18.jpeg

She’s a grey chicken, not sure what breed. I’ve had her about 4 years now. She’s not laying and hasn’t been feeling well. The 3 others are fine

She’s a grey chicken, not sure what breed. I’ve had her about 4 years now. She’s not laying and hasn’t been feeling well. The 3 others are fine
I’ve been looking on the internet and came up with vent gleet?
Does this look like that?
Thanks

I’ve been looking on the internet and came up with vent gleet?
Does this look like that?
Thanks
Hi @Rosanne1234 :frow Welcome To BYC
A photo of her poop?
You mention she's not been laying eggs, do you know when was the last time she did?
Can you give her a wash up, look at the vent for a whitish discharge (if it's Vent Gleet she should smell yeasty). While you are at it, feel her abdomen for bloat or fluid.

At 4 years of age, she may be suffering from a reproductive problem like Egg Yolk Perintonitis, cancer, tumors, etc.
Getting a fecal float to check for worms is always a good idea.

You mention she is not feeling well - will she eat/drink on her own? I would also make sure she's drinking, offer her some wet feed. Check her crop to see that it's empty in the morning.

Hi @Rosanne1234 :frow Welcome To BYC
A photo of her poop?
You mention she's not been laying eggs, do you know when was the last time she did?
Can you give her a wash up, look at the vent for a whitish discharge (if it's Vent Gleet she should smell yeasty). While you are at it, feel her abdomen for bloat or fluid.

At 4 years of age, she may be suffering from a reproductive problem like Egg Yolk Perintonitis, cancer, tumors, etc.
Getting a fecal float to check for worms is always a good idea.

You mention she is not feeling well - will she eat/drink on her own? I would also make sure she's drinking, offer her some wet feed. Check her crop to see that it's empty in the morning.

Thank you!
I’m away working and posting for my mom who is with the chickens.
I’ve sent her your answer.
It sounds like she’s eating and drinking. She’s just not her usual self and hasn’t payed an egg in quite awhile. We have bathed the girls before in epsom salt when a couple of them had the same kind of thing.

Thank you!
I’m away working and posting for my mom who is with the chickens.
I’ve sent her your answer.
It sounds like she’s eating and drinking. She’s just not her usual self and hasn’t payed an egg in quite awhile. We have bathed the girls before in epsom salt when a couple of them had the same kind of thing.
I would wash her up, get a good look at the vent for discharge, feel the abdomen for bloat, check her for lice, etc. Let us know what you find out.

Back
Top Bottom