Sick chicken

Tasha Smith

Hatching
Apr 2, 2020
I have 2 polish chickens, one is sick: losing weight, lethargic and puffed up. The poor thing will sit and cuddle with me. They are 4 months old. She will eat and drink but i’ve tried everything to get her better: even took her to a vet . No parasites in poop . She put her on an antibiotic but doesn’t seem to be helping although it’s only been 2 days. I want to quarantine her by herself but afraid my other chicken will get stressed out and get sick too. She appears to be doing fine. Please help!

Is that all the vet did? A fecal study? You did the right thing by taking it to a professional. Did they offer any other guidance? I would assume that they did a physical exam, palpation, temperature, and examined the crop? If all these seemed normal were the antibiotics a stab in the dark? They didn't say why they were prescribing antibiotics?
We need more info, but Im not sure how much help we can be than a veterinarian whom actually put their hands on the animal.

I have 2 polish chickens, one is sick: losing weight, lethargic and puffed up. The poor thing will sit and cuddle with me. They are 4 months old. She will eat and drink but i’ve tried everything to get her better: even took her to a vet . No parasites in poop . She put her on an antibiotic but doesn’t seem to be helping although it’s only been 2 days. I want to quarantine her by herself but afraid my other chicken will get stressed out and get sick too. She appears to be doing fine. Please help!
Definitely quarantine. Any unknown illness could be infectious and spread quickly to the other birds. Although depending on the time line, the other is likely already exposed so quarantine may not matter at this point. But I would.

Back
Top Bottom