sick chicken?

lots-ofchickens

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2019
image.jpg

when we let our chickens out of the coop this morning one of my barred rock hens was acting lathargic and has a pale comb. she laid an egg yesterday and was fine. does anyone know what this would be or how i could fix it?

Sorry about your hen. Is she able to stand and walk? Does she lay an egg every day or less often? What does her poop look like? Can you feel her crop this morning and tell us if it is empty, full, hard, doughy, or puffy? How old is she? Can you offer some water with electrolytes, or some Poultry NutriDrench orally, then water? Will she eat?

she can stand and walk if she has to but she keeps wanting to sit. she lays about 5 days a week, she is almost a year old. she is not eating or drinking. how do you feel her croup?

Can you insert a clean finger into her vent an inch or two to check her for a stuck egg? I would hold water up to her beak to see if she will drink some. The crop is a pouch in the upper right chest that feels with food and water after it is eaten during the day, then empties overnight while the chicken sleeps. Compare it to the other chickens and you will find it.

1586351342848.jpeg

Can you insert a clean finger into her vent an inch or two to check her for a stuck egg? I would hold water up to her beak to see if she will drink some. The crop is a pouch in the upper right chest that feels with food and water after it is eaten during the day, then empties overnight while the chicken sleeps. Compare it to the other chickens and you will find it.

View attachment 2080059
i think her croup is empty if i’m doing this correctly

Back
Top Bottom