Sick Chicken

Arzupancic

Hatching
Jul 22, 2020
My cuckoo marans has been sick for about 3 days. I noticed when she started sneezing. Then she added yawning and is now also very lethargic. No eye or Nasal discharge. She’s been isolated. I’m a first time chicken owner who’s not dealt with respiratory illness before. Please advise.

video:Sick chicken

Sorry about your chicken. How old is she? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Can you feel of her crop and tell us if it is empty and flat, full and hard, or puffy? She looks like she is gaping, which can be a sign of a crop impaction, but it could be respiratory in nature. The problem that is bothering me more is her limp and using wings to balance. That could be a sign of Mareks disease. I hope not.

Sorry about your chicken. How old is she? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Can you feel of her crop and tell us if it is empty and flat, full and hard, or puffy? She looks like she is gaping, which can be a sign of a crop impaction, but it could be respiratory in nature. The problem that is bothering me more is her limp and using wings to balance. That could be a sign of Mareks disease. I hope not.
Unusual gait. Could it be something neurological. I don't know much about Mareks I better go read up about it. I wonder where the OP lives is she in a hot and humid climate thus the gaping/panting behavior.

She was vaccinated. I had just put her in that cage so think that may explain the imbalance. I didn’t notice too much imbalance when I caught her. I will monitor her coordination and also get back to you with crop information.

Feed store said I could go to a vet but otherwise just isolate and provide supportive care with electrolytes and probiotics. Think that’s going to be my plan.

Back
Top Bottom