Sick chicken

chickenlover_1111

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2021
Illinois
Hello friends, Here for some advice one of my hens has been looking sick for the past week. I made sure to separate her from the flock she sleeps all day doesn’t want to move as much. She barely eats I dont think she would be egg bound. I noticed her comb is starting to turn a bit purple(I will link a Photo) it also looks like it is curling up a sort of. She is also a Red Sexlink not sure her age maybe 2 or 3 Any suggestion on what to give her? or do?

thanks M.C
image.jpg

Do you know when she last laid? What do droppings look like? Feel her abdomen, below the vent, between the legs. Does it feel bloated, either water balloon like or very firm? If she's 2 or 3 then reproductive problems are not uncommon. Could be infection, a cancer, or internal laying.

Do you know when she last laid? What do droppings look like? Feel her abdomen, below the vent, between the legs. Does it feel bloated, either water balloon like or very firm? If she's 2 or 3 then reproductive problems are not uncommon. Could be infection, a cancer, or internal laying.
Her dropping are either yellow or just liquid, The last time she laid was maybe 2 months ago. Also I just went to go check up on her and it feels firm but also a bit like a water balloon mostly firm.

It does sound like a reproductive problem. Hard to say exactly what, the symptoms can be very similar. Definite cause is often not known until necropsy. Some will do a round of antibiotics, but honestly, once they have progressed to abdomen bloat it will usually only buy them some time if it helps at all. If it's peritonitis then it usually recurs since the underlying reason is still present. If you want to try then you could do amoxicillin and see if it helps. If there is no improvement then you would need to try something stronger like enrofloxacin or cephalexin. For my birds that present like this, I leave them with the flock until they are obviously unwell, when they go off food and water, isolate themselves or get attacked by the flock, I euthanize. :hugs

It does sound like a reproductive problem. Hard to say exactly what, the symptoms can be very similar. Definite cause is often not known until necropsy. Some will do a round of antibiotics, but honestly, once they have progressed to abdomen bloat it will usually only buy them some time if it helps at all. If it's peritonitis then it usually recurs since the underlying reason is still present. If you want to try then you could do amoxicillin and see if it helps. If there is no improvement then you would need to try something stronger like enrofloxacin or cephalexin. For my birds that present like this, I leave them with the flock until they are obviously unwell, when they go off food and water, isolate themselves or get attacked by the flock, I euthanize. :hugs
Okay thank you will do!

Back
Top Bottom