Sick chicken

Delixy2

Chirping
May 4, 2020
Hello, I have a year old chicken who is extremely lethargic, a big mess around her bottom, and not eating or drinking much. I don't have a vet nearby and am not sure what's going on or what I can do. The other 3 chickens and my 4 ducks are fine. It's just her, any help would be appreciated!

I would start by isolating her from your other birds in case it’s contagious.
Does she have diarrhea? Are her poos bloody?
What is her body language/behavior like?

I would start by isolating her from your other birds in case it’s contagious.
Does she have diarrhea? Are her poos bloody?
What is her body language/behavior like?
She is very tired and moving quite slow. Stays to herself. She faces towards corners in the coop or tries to hide her face up against anything. I will include as picture of her bottom but be prepared is very nasty! Not sure on her type of poo.

Attachments

• 20210625_142824.jpg
    20210625_142824.jpg
    666.1 KB · Views: 9
Hello, I have a year old chicken who is extremely lethargic, a big mess around her bottom, and not eating or drinking much. I don't have a vet nearby and am not sure what's going on or what I can do. The other 3 chickens and my 4 ducks are fine. It's just her, any help would be appreciated!
Is this hen alive?
Your hen has FlyStrike, do you not see the maggots crawling on her?
She's got a gaping wound under her vent.
Flush all that off her, repeatedly if needed. Keep in mind that all the clean up may send her over the edge if she's extremely weak/lethargic, but the maggots have got to go.
Once you flush/bath her and get most off, watch the vent and the wound - any maggots remaining pick off with tweezers.

When you have her cleaned up. Access the wound and the condition of the hen. Depending on the cause, she may make it. Sometimes they are too far gone and need to put out of their misery.

Take more photos when you have her cleaned up.

1624675292365.png

I don't know what maggots look like but I'll look it up. Yes, she is still alive. I did try to give her a bath yesterday but it seemed like nothing was coming off and she made noises whenever I'd wash down there so I felt bad hurting her. Thank you for letting be know what it is. I will try my best to keep her alive and get her better.

I don't know what maggots look like but I'll look it up. Yes, she is still alive. I did try to give her a bath yesterday but it seemed like nothing was coming off and she made noises whenever I'd wash down there so I felt bad hurting her. Thank you for letting be know what it is. I will try my best to keep her alive and get her better.
Maggots are tiny white(ish) worms where flies have laid their eggs on wounds/poop, etc.
You may have washed some off when you tried to wash her, but I can see them in the photo. I've circled a few. Generally they will be deep in that wound.
The wound is probably painful, it's looks like it's pretty deep - it's possible it has breached the abdominal cavity, but unless you clean all that out, then you won't know.
The maggots are not beneficial, they eat into the tissue, so they need to be gone.

Do you have a friend, parent, neighbor or family member that can help you with her? It would be good to have an extra set up hands and eyes.

1624721327265.png

Back
Top Bottom