Sick chicken

Mbarton1116

In the Brooder
Sep 5, 2020
Yesterday I noticed that my chicken was puffed up, pale comb, and just kind of standing around. She’s still eating and drinking, but I haven’t really seen her poop. I’m not sure where to begin. At first we thought it could be sour crop because her crop felt pretty full, but it didn’t feel full by bedtime. We also checked her for lice and mites, but did not see any. Any ideas on where to begin?

Attachments

• E6F9562D-0D9A-497B-8728-616CD50D5143.jpeg
    E6F9562D-0D9A-497B-8728-616CD50D5143.jpeg
    858.9 KB · Views: 6
Has she been laying eggs? How old is she? Have any of her eggs had soft shells? Where to you live? Is it spring there? What has your weather been like?
I’m in Tennessee. As far as I know, she has been laying eggs, but I know she didn’t yesterday. I’ve never had any eggs with soft shells. I was worried about her being egg bound, but I didn’t think she has the symptoms of that. It’s been upper 40s at night and 50s during the day here.

How old is she? How is her weight, is her keel well muscled or is the bone very prominent? Does her abdomen feel bloated, between the legs, below the vent? I would crate her for now, give her a very good going over to make sure there are no wounds hiding in feathers. Monitor her droppings (pictures are welcome) and see if she will eat or drink.

She is about 2 years old. She is pretty thin, she she’s always been like that no matter how much she eats. She is eating still as of right now. Her crop kind of felt like a golf ball yesterday, but when I tried massaging it, it would go away.

For her breed, two years old can be the beginning of reproductive problems. So check her abdomen for bloat. A good look at her droppings would be helpful. Have you ever wormed your birds or had a fecal test done?
I have wormed them, but never done a fecal test. I’ll see if I can get a picture when she goes

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom