Sick chicken

Beakadoodle

Chirping
Aug 28, 2021
When I let me girls out this morning I noticed my Barred Rock Kiwi was acting odd. She seemed to be dropping as she walked as if she was going to lie down. She kept leaning to one side slightly and she seemed to have issues walking straight.

She is going through a hard molt. I took her inside to evaluate. She is acting very weak. I do not hear any breathing issues. But something is not right.

Do I keep her separated? It's cold and wet out right now and I worry about her being inside and then going back outside where it's cold. I have no idea what to do or how to treat her. I do have a bottle of Vet RX.

Attachments

• 20211113_083422.jpg
    20211113_083422.jpg
    629.7 KB · Views: 16
I would keep her inside until she's acting normal. Maybe cook her an egg or soften her food. She needs to be eating and drinking. Keep us posted! 😁

When I let me girls out this morning I noticed my Barred Rock Kiwi was acting odd. She seemed to be dropping as she walked as if she was going to lie down. She kept leaning to one side slightly and she seemed to have issues walking straight.

She is going through a hard molt. I took her inside to evaluate. She is acting very weak. I do not hear any breathing issues. But something is not right.

Do I keep her separated? It's cold and wet out right now and I worry about her being inside and then going back outside where it's cold. I have no idea what to do or how to treat her. I do have a bottle of Vet RX.
She did try to walk a little in the house. Her left leg crossed over her right and she walks sideways. She is not able to stand up all the way.

I have had birds during molt, particularly if it's a hard molt, walk like drunk or have balance issues. I give them a B complex (human ones) tablet or capsule daily (regular not time release) and that often will help immensely, sometimes after one or two doses. Sometimes during molt they don't eat well and deficiencies can happen, they are pretty susceptible to deficiencies in the B's and symptoms are often neuromuscular. You can mix the tablet or capsule in a bit of moistened feed if she's eating, or you can just pop it in her mouth and she'll swallow it. The B's are very safe, no risk of overdosing. If it helps I would give it daily until she's been normal for several days.

I have had birds during molt, particularly if it's a hard molt, walk like drunk or have balance issues. I give them a B complex (human ones) tablet or capsule daily (regular not time release) and that often will help immensely, sometimes after one or two doses. Sometimes during molt they don't eat well and deficiencies can happen, they are pretty susceptible to deficiencies in the B's and symptoms are often neuromuscular. You can mix the tablet or capsule in a bit of moistened feed if she's eating, or you can just pop it in her mouth and she'll swallow it. The B's are very safe, no risk of overdosing. If it helps I would give it daily until she's been normal for several days.
Thank you, I will definitely try this. She is having a pretty hard molt. She is about 18 months. I was looking up her symptoms and came across Mareks. It sent my anxiety through the roof. I pray it is just a deficiency from molting and not that.

Many things can present symptoms similar to Marek's. Vitamins are often the first thing to try. Birds are very affected by vitamin deficiencies and symptoms can be varied, and sometimes strange. Hopefully the vitamins will have her feeling better in a few days.

Update:
Day 3 of giving her vintamin b complex. No sign of improvement. She is not eating or drinking well. I can tell she has lost weight. I have been giving her scrambled eggs. Which she has eaten some, but is not overly enthusiastic.

I had taken her back out to the coop because she was so stressed inside in the dog kennel that she was panting and knocking around trying to escape.

I just brought her back in today and o
Put her in the kennel again. She has not been rowdy about it as of yet. I noticed she has runny/watery poop and it was a little frothy. I am highly concerned about it being something contagious. So I am going to keep her inside no matter what.

All the other girls seem to be fine and showing no signs of sickness.

What do I do from here? I feel horrible because I don't know what's wrong or how to fix it.

I was away from home yesterday, so am just catching up. How is your hen today?
Can you post some pictures of her droppings? Is her crop empty, full, soft & squishy, hard, etc? Have you ever wormed your birds or had a fecal done to test for internal parasites? Do you have any antibiotics on hand?

Back
Top Bottom