Sick chicken??

Jamiep101

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2021
Hey!
Probably about 2 weeks ago my 8 month old barred rock hen started sneezing from time to time. Mostly when feeding especially when I’m throwing in treats and she’s eating as fast as possible. She will sneeze or wheeze (no discharge from the nose or mouth).. mouth breath for a second and go right back to eating.
She’s acting normal otherwise ( scratching, laying, eating and drinking)
Iv tried a bit of olive oil in her water.
tried crushed up garlic in the water.
After the garlic I thought for sure she was better. Never noticed any sneezing for probably a full day or 2
This morning when I took some food scraps out it seemed worse then ever as she was trying to scarf down as much as possibly.

Thoughts???

Hey!
Probably about 2 weeks ago my 8 month old barred rock hen started sneezing from time to time. Mostly when feeding especially when I’m throwing in treats and she’s eating as fast as possible. She will sneeze or wheeze (no discharge from the nose or mouth).. mouth breath for a second and go right back to eating.
She’s acting normal otherwise ( scratching, laying, eating and drinking)
Iv tried a bit of olive oil in her water.
tried crushed up garlic in the water.
After the garlic I thought for sure she was better. Never noticed any sneezing for probably a full day or 2
This morning when I took some food scraps out it seemed worse then ever as she was trying to scarf down as much as possibly.

Thoughts???
Can you get a video?

I know it scares a lot of people when chickens sneeze or adjust their crop, but when their food is dusty or they eat to fast, they may do so. I sometimes wet their feed because of this, and I usually try to buy pellets. Not sure if I would call it wheezing, though.

Can you get a video?

I know it scares a lot of people when chickens sneeze or adjust their crop, but when their food is dusty or they eat to fast, they may do so. I sometimes wet their feed because of this, and I usually try to buy pellets. Not sure if I would call it wheezing, though.
Some of my older hens do that from time to time. I now hear it rarely, but it sounds somewhat like a sneeze but with kind of like “arrg” mixed in it, if that makes sense. But j dint think it is anything to worry about

do they get food all the time or do you only feed a couple times a day? Is it with food or just treats? It is possible that she is just eating too fast. I have one that sneezes/squawks when she eats too fast.

do they get food all the time or do you only feed a couple times a day? Is it with food or just treats? It is possible that she is just eating too fast. I have one that sneezes/squawks when she eats too fast.
They have feed available 24-7 I go out in the morning and evenings and toss some crushed corn mixed with mealworms and some veggie scraps

Can you get a video?

Back
Top Bottom