Sick chicken

cassieAsh

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2022
I found one of my hens today sitting alone in the corner of the yard. She is normally very active. When dusk came she did not attempt to get up and go inside the coop. She is normally one of the first to go inside. When everyone was in she still stayed in the corner. Her feet were very cold and her butt was kinda dirty. Not really bad just from sitting in the same spot all day. I bought her inside and cleaned her up. Checked her vent, no impaction from what I can tell. She wouldn't drink alot, didn't touch her food and has her eyes closed more often than not. She seems kinda drowsy and not active. Any ideas?

Here are some pics of her. Her feet were curled up and she doesn't stand just sits.

Attachments

• PXL_20220327_000407995.jpg
    PXL_20220327_000407995.jpg
    652.8 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20220326_234736710.jpg
    PXL_20220326_234736710.jpg
    597.8 KB · Views: 2
Check her crop in early morning before she eats or drinks and let us know if her crop has emptied overnight. Her crop appears enlarged in the picture. Impacted or sour crop would make her weak. Can you get some human B complex tablets and give her 1/4- 1/2 daily? That will supply riboflavin (B2) if she has a deficiency. Chick vitamins with riboflavin on the label are fine to use as well.

Is she laying eggs? How old is she? What do her poops look like?

She has never layed an egg since I got her, which has been about a year now. She was eating when I woke up this morning so I did not get a chance to check her crop. How exactly do I do that, what am I feeling for? Give her B vitamins? Do I crush them and mix it with the food?

So I examined her again today and her crop doesn't seem full. However the bone running right down the center of her chest, I assume its the breast bone, seperating the two breast, is really sticking out. And farther back she feels swollen or really plump, maybe full of air of liquid.

B complex tablets can be crushed and put into a little food (egg) or a spoonful of water and given orally.

Is it her lower belly between the legs that feels full of air or liquid? If so, that could be ascites (water belly) which can be seen with reproductive infection, cancer, heart failure, or liver problems. Fluid can be removed occasionally with an 18 gauge needle and syringe inserted under the skin of the belly. Risks are infection or death in rare cases.

Air under the skin could be a leaking air sac. Since she has not been laying the whole year that you have had her, seems to point to a reproductive disorder. Losing weight though the breast area could also be cancer.

Back
Top Bottom