1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sausages, Apr 12, 2009.

1. sausages

sausages New Egg

Apr 12, 2009
    my chicken is approx 1 year old and she is on her side and can't get up I have tried to get her to stand but she keeps on falling over [​IMG]

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Separate her now.
    Any other symptoms- condition of crop, vent
    Diet?
    Anything in water?
    Free range, free run, or?
    Were these chickens vaccinated for Marek's?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  3. sausages

sausages New Egg

Apr 12, 2009
    Hi Lynnp
    I am not too sure if she has been vaccinated for marek's or not as far as we were told she was vaccinated as a chick, her crop is rather low
    but in herself she is bright and strong ifa that makes sence. She is free range and we do not put anything in her water

4. LynneP

I'd get her separated in case her problem is contagious and so that you can assist her without the others harming her. Do you have some place you can bring her that is warm, draft free and where you can examine her?

5. LynneP

Adding that it's possible she has injured herself and needs time to recover, but that if you do have something going on you can see it better and treat her. So hard to know without more symptoms. There is a chance it is Marek's but I have NO experience with it and I hope an experienced owner will enter this thread. It's so hard to find anyone on a holiday week-end.

6. sausages

sausages New Egg

Apr 12, 2009
    I have moved her and she is kept warm but there is no sign of improvement, marek's disease sounds correct. I also had another cock that went off his legs about a month ago, thinking about it , the symptoms are very simular but it effected the cock slightly differently, we had him put to sleep as we had no idea what was wrong, as he was not getting any better I thank you for your consern, it has been a great help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by