Sick Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tracee, Oct 19, 2007.

1. tracee

tracee New Egg

Oct 19, 2007
    I have a bantam rooster that can't stand. If I try to stand him up he falls on his head or side. I have been hand feeding/watering him for about 4 days. This problem started out slowly; at first I thought one of the other roosters hurt him because he could stand and walk but he was quite wobbly. He has progressively gotten worse. He eats as long as I feed him and his poo looks pretty normal. Is there anything I can do for this little guy?

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    How old is the little guy? Any respiratory (breathing) problems? Any other symptoms you can think of to help try to figure out what's going on?

Jody

3. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    Adding a good supplement like Avia Charge 2000... in additional a week (once a day) of POLYVISOL (childrens liquid vitamins) three drops a day into beak will ensure any vit deficiencies involved are addressed.

4. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    If he is under 1 year old, one of the first symptoms of Marek's disease is lameness. I was told that even immunized chickens can come down with this, that the immunization is only 75% effective. There is no cure [​IMG]
    There are so many things that can go wrong with chickens, often only a necropsy (i.e. "autopsy") can determine what caused the chicken's death.
    Sorry to bring this up. [​IMG]

5. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    im so sorry for that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by