1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JWTphoto, Feb 13, 2010.

1. JWTphoto

JWTphoto Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    My normally avid layer (buff?) has not layed an egg in 2 days. She used to lay 1-2 days/day. She has been puffing up her feathers & staying puffed up & not her active self. I initially thought she is egg bound, but upon examing her I do not feel any eggs inside. I tried soaking her in a warm bath, but she did not relax & was somewhat anxious. She stayed reluctantly. This chicken "Goldie" usually comes to me when called & is as some of you know, one of those chickens that is just a Gem! I hate not knowing what to do for her. She ate some grapes & dried meal worms. But I am out of grapes & she is not interested in lettuce or spinach which she normally loves. There are no vets open that know anything about chickens. Does anyone have any suggestions? I also read to try & keep her warm & I brought her in the house, but I think she would rather be outside. It snowed 4" last night & I'm not sure what is best for her. Please help?!

2. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    11) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    check for lice mites and any chemicals and mold around the yard...

3. JWTphoto

Apr 14, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    Here are some pictures:

From the side:
    [​IMG]

Her poop:
    [​IMG]

Not moving from this position and "puffed up":
    [​IMG]

4. JWTphoto

Apr 14, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    1. I think she is a buff. My daughter got her @ a tractor show & the seller wasn't sure. Looking in books that is what she appears to be.
    2. She normally is very energetic: scrarching, digging, moving around, will come to me when called, will sit on my shoulder. Just friendly & fun. She started laying Jan 5 and 2 weeks ago began laying 2 eggs/day on most days. She had not missed a day since she did start laying. Well she hasn't layed in 2 days. Yesterday, she was slow moving when I opened her coop to free range. When I went to pick her up she kind of moved away-not typical for her. I knew something wasn't right. I watched her all day. She did eventually move around the yard some. Weather called for 2-4 inches of snow so I put the chickens away before the weather came. In her yard she would fluff her feathers and tuck her head under her wing (something I never noticed her doing before). I thought she was trying to stay warm. No bleeding, or any other signs. She stays fluffed up and doesn't move much. She ate a few grapes but I am out of grapes now & some meal worms. No interest in spinach or lettuce which she usually loves. I don't see any lice she looks pretty clean. My husband posted pics of her & her poop. I will greatly appreciate any suggestions for what to do for her- if anything. thanks!

5. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    The yellow in the runny poop could be a sign of a resp. infection. Listen to her breathing, is it raspy or labored?

Also do you have any medications on hand?

6. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    She is a red sexlink.

She may have worms. When was the last time you wormed her?

Matt

7. JWTphoto

Apr 14, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    Her breathing is not labored and no raspiness.
    I have never wormed her. What is the name of a dewormer for chickens. I have no meds on hand but can go to the feed store if necessary. Thanks for the help......we/ve only had chicks ~ 10 months and am learning lots. What is the name of a good dewormer? & why do you think it could be worms? I don't see any in her poop.

8. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Once a chicken sheds actual worms then the infestation is so heavy that the chicken often times does not survive. The normal thing is to shed eggs from the worms which are too small to see.

The prefered wormer for chickens is Wazine-17. It is added to the water at a rate of one ounce per gallon of water. Since she is depressed I would use it as the sole source of water for two days to make sure she gets enough.

You will have to repeat the treatment in 14 days as it only kills adult worms, not eggs.

While there at the feed store I would also get some Terramycin to have on hand just in case it does turn out to be a resp. infection.

Oh and the Wazine will say on the package not to use in hens producing eggs for consumption. Withhold eating eggs from this hen for 7 days after the last treatment. The active ingrediant in the Wazine is also commonly used on humans too.

9. JWTphoto

Apr 14, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    I will try the Wazine & terremycin. Wazine first. Wish me luck & thanks for your input.

10. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Quote:[​IMG]

also give her some plain yougurt as well. It's a probiotic and will help her along with the dewormer!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by