Sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by billmac, Jan 8, 2011.

1. billmac

billmac Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    I know the title is vague. I have a RIR hen who isn't acting quite right. I have a heat lamp over my waterer, and she tends to stay under the heat lamp. She stays all puffed up, so she looks kind of rounded. She is light as a feather when you pick her up, although she seems to eat fine. Her comb has some black in it, like perhaps she has gotten frostbite, but that isn't really possible. They haven't been let out this winter except for a day or two when it was in the 40s. When she leaves the heat lamp, she will sometimes go to the door way or into a corner to protect herself, although the other hens don't seem to pick on her to any great extent.

I have isolated her from the other hens, with food, water, and another heat lamp. I haven't given her a thorough examination, but she doesn't seem to be crop bound.

Anything else I should be doing for her?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Here in Ohio, winters sure are rough. What you mention makes me think she may have a respiratory illness. Since you've got her isolated, just sit near hear and listen to her breathing. Does she sneeze? Do you see any discharge around her nostrils on her beak? Do her eyes look nice and clear? Puffing up and not acting lively like the rest of the flock definitely means something isn't quite right. You could treat her with Tylan in her drinking water, which is a strong antibiotic for about 7 days, and that should take care of a respiratory infection, if that's what she has.

Good luck to you and your hen,
    Sharon

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh, also she could have worms, which might explain her light weight. Since everybody's been cooped up, they will be walking around in their own poo alot more, which exposes them to worms. You could worm them and see if that works.

4. my3jsons

my3jsons Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2010
    Oklahoma
  5. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    Pics of comb would be great. Maybe domestic fowl-pox. Which is not as fatal as Exotic but can still be detramental to it's health. Have u treated it w any meds?

6. my3jsons

my3jsons Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Seems like there are three different issues with chickens that confuse most any and everyone. I'm not a vet nor do I play one on t.v. I have however had to research quite a bit lately to determine what my entire flock was going through so here is my best explanation. If anyone can add to or take away from this please feel free.

Frostbite: Almost looks like flesh is dieing from the inside out and then begins to turn black. Link with photos. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3484665

Avian
    Pox: Begins with whitish nodules (warts) which then begin to turn black and crusty. Great link with pics: https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-diseases-AvianPox.html

Favus
    : Looks like white powder on the comb and then begins more of a random crusty black. Also, I've found that as it spreads the chickens skin begins to turn red (not sure what that's about). This is the issue with my flock and was diagnosed by poultry vet. Here is link to that: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=5439985#p5439985

Good
    luck!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  7. billmac

billmac Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    She seems a little better today. I'll keep her isolated for awhile and see what happens. Are any of the meds mentioned available at Tractor Supply?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by