Sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Davlyn, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Davlyn

Davlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Pike , NH
    I am not sure if this has been posted, but my eyes R fogged bt re-searching & reading. I had a chicken die yesterday that is 3 in 3 months. 1 , my crooked Roo I figured was due to his deformity . I lost a hen 1 month after that, just found her in the morn. my ( mentally challenged frizzle hen ) I found dead sunday morn. She has always been picked on, she had a big loos of feathers all around the back half end of her body. Just now I found my sea bright Roo very lithological, not sun bathing as I had hoped. I have him in near the wood stove. I have kept a light on, I keep a real clean coop & feed good clen , fresh food & grain. change the water several times a day. what can this B ? Help.. I am now worried I may loose all my chickens [​IMG]

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Usually the first thing that is suggested it to check them top to bottom for mites or lice. Then if none, check for worms. There are some questions at the beginning of this section that is helpful if you can fill out and give the answers to. The more info the more likely someone can help you figure out the issues.
    sharon

3. Davlyn

Feb 6, 2010
    Pike , NH
    Quote:Ok.. Thank U. It's official the Roo has just died

4. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

the super cold temps at my house seem to be thinning my flock... starting with our runty BR, and our mentally retarded dutch bantam. and continuing with our rescue bantam roo... do these deaths coincide with cold snaps?

5. Davlyn

Feb 6, 2010
    Pike , NH
    chickensducks&agoose :

the super cold temps at my house seem to be thinning my flock... starting with our runty BR, and our mentally retarded dutch bantam. and continuing with our rescue bantam roo... do these deaths coincide with cold snaps?

So sorry, so U R having issues as well ? Both the frizzle & Roo were Bantams. Puff'N had a struggle from the get go, But Biscuit has been very healthy & feisty, even 2day he was doing great. Never notice he had a problem. Dan said while he was in near the wood stove he could her him having a hard time breathing. He must have caught a cold. It's so up-settn' 2 loose a pet​

6. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    what is your coop like? is it closed up, no drafts, thick layer of betting on the floor for warmth, heated water so it is not frozen, feed all the time? you can give them some cracked corn at night to help produce body heat too. also add some electrolyte solution to the water sometimes. hope it helps

7. Davlyn

Feb 6, 2010
    Pike , NH
    Quote:It holds up to 15 / 18 chickens. I had 20 in there , more than 6 were Banty's. It has a small door 4 them 2 go in or out, a reg. door 4 humans to go in. 2 windows with screens & a back drop wooden window in the back up high. The floor is covered with a water proof flooring . The last 2 winters I never opened the window , not even a crack, & then I read & a friend told me I should open a window a bit for fresh air & ventilation . so I did this winter I am using a heat lamp , it helps keep the water from freezing & gives them extra heat, other than just body heat. They have their water bowl, a bowl for their layer crumbles , a bowl for cracked corn & usually sometimes a head of lettuce 2 keep them busy in the morn & even some scratch .
    Ok I never added the electrolyte's B4, I will head right 2 Agway & c what they have on hand, there is 2 other suppliers in the area, I'll check with them also.
    Thanks so much.

8. Davlyn

Feb 6, 2010
    Pike , NH
    Quote:It holds up to 15 / 18 chickens. I had 20 in there , more than 6 were Banty's. It has a small door 4 them 2 go in or out, a reg. door 4 humans to go in. 2 windows with screens & a back drop wooden window in the back up high. The floor is covered with a water proof flooring . The last 2 winters I never opened the window , not even a crack, & then I read & a friend told me I should open a window a bit for fresh air & ventilation . so I did this winter I am using a heat lamp , it helps keep the water from freezing & gives them extra heat, other than just body heat. They have their water bowl, a bowl for their layer crumbles , a bowl for cracked corn & usually sometimes a head of lettuce 2 keep them busy in the morn & even some scratch .
    Ok I never added the electrolyte's B4, I will head right 2 Agway & c what they have on hand, there is 2 other suppliers in the area, I'll check with them also.
    Thanks so much.

sorry, yes I put down hay & then alot of shavings.. I bank the shaving up against the front & back walls

9. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    make sure that window is not opened at the level they roost at, that I would think would be to much fresh air, also depends were you live, are you in a winter climate. if so then I would close that window at night, just crack it open on the nicer days, unless your coop is air tight, some air exchange is going on, if the floor is cold some pine shavings for them to stand on and scratch around would be helpful. how old are these hens?

10. Davlyn

Feb 6, 2010
    Pike , NH
    Quote:I am in Pike, NH.. up north, the white mnt region, Grafton county. I believe the air thru the window is close to the roosting rail level. Other than that It seems pretty air tight. That must B whats wrong. [​IMG], it's my fault , they got more of a draft than fresh air [​IMG] I'll pray no one is sick in the morn, thats all I can do 4 the nite. I am grateful 4 the info, thank U .
    I never heard either of the 2 chickens cough, they never showed any sign of being sick, just Puff'N had no feathers on her hind end. Biscuit did have some loss of feather just above his tail, but I checked for lice/ fleas, I saw nothing. I keep up on that dept. as well. Thank U very much 4 sending me info. Hubby said the longer the Roo was in , the more he was able to hear him having issues breathing, his thought was also, he had a cold. Wierd, it seemed 2 hit so fast. Ok, I am gettn' long winded. Thanks again, any & all info & help is so welcomed... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by