Sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jean12000, Jan 18, 2011.

1. jean12000

jean12000 New Egg

Dec 6, 2010
    One of my girls a Speckled Sus.. new post had to remove last part of name to post!!!!!! [​IMG] has been lethargic for the last two days she has separated herself off from the others during the day. But at night she sleeps with the rest and when I bring a treat to the coop she doesn't seem to care. Any Ideas and suggestions would be great

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Well, lethargy could be a lot of things.
    Has she started to lay yet?
    Anything else seem off about her at all?

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:Mine do that when they have a hard molt. However those 2 symptoms can be for just about any ailment. Does her crop get full everyday?

4. new chick 203

new chick 203 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    need more. Is she under weight? How are the poops? Does she have lice or mites?

5. jean12000

jean12000 New Egg

Dec 6, 2010
    Up until this she has been healthy, however I have seen some runny odd colored poops but I don't who they are from. As far as parasites I don't think so I use DE on them and keep their coop clean...as clean as possible in 17deg. weather and she will be a year old next month

6. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I would check for eggbinding, first.
    GENTLY feel her abdomen to see if you feel an egg there. If you do, soak her in warm water for about 30 minutes, blow dry her, give her some crushed Tums and keep her where it's warm and quiet in a cage by herself.
    If nothing there, next I would search her for lice/mites-even though you use the DE, it can't hurt to look.
    Barring that, I would worm them.
    Really the first 3 things that come to my mind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by