Sick Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KristyHall, Jan 27, 2011.

1. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    Hello,
    I'm Kristen. I originally posted this on backyard herds it was suggested I post this here too.

I have a sick hen in my bathtub. She has been there for a few days. She seems alert but I have to hand feed her a mush water mix via tube. She still isn't eating on her own and now her poop is green.
    I am about ready to give up and put her out of her misery but I want to see if there is something else I can do.
    Anyone know whats going on?
    Now on top of it she seems to to be having trouble with a leg.
    A couple of other birds acted like they had a cold but quickly recovered, but this hen seems to only stand there or lay there. She accepts the food easily at least.

2. satsuki23

satsuki23 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2010
    East Greenville Pa
    Is the poop lime green?

3. KristyHall

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    No it is bright and a little darker than lime, with swirls of white in it.
    I can only get a couple of ounces down her before she fights too much and sometime sher crop feels full.

4. satsuki23

Aug 21, 2010
    East Greenville Pa
    It sounds like botulism check the forum for cures, I had this with one of my chickens one time and it fully recovered. It is from eating moldy foods.

5. KristyHall

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    Botulism? Oh my!
    Can I pick it up from cleaning the bird and such?
    Also, someone suggested merecks disease

6. satsuki23

Aug 21, 2010
    East Greenville Pa
    No, just wash your hands it could be Merck but it sounds like botulism try flushing it with Epsom salts. Dosage either a teaspoon per gallon or a tablespoon not sure so look it up.

7. satsuki23

Aug 21, 2010
    East Greenville Pa
  8. KristyHall

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    Thank you. I read up on botulism in chickens. I was considering putting her down if it was merecks but it looks like she can recover from botulism as long as I continue to feed and water her by hand until she's strong enough to get over it.
    I do think I need to move her out of the bathtub for a while and thoroughly clean the tub though to limit her exposure to infected droppings.

9. KristyHall

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    Quick update:
    She seems perkier and keeps fighting being given water. Her crop keeps remaining full. It is not nearly as full as when I first brought her in, but full non the less.
    Could it started out as impacted or sour crop then it rotted in her crop which caused the botulism poisoning? I watched her for a couple of days when she started exhibiting symptoms after I gave them turnips and greens that I did not chop up very well and when she seemed to get worse that is when I moved her into the bath tub three days ago. i have been giving her sugar water until three days ago when I started feeding her a water feed mash by tube.
    I did not think about the turnip greens until I saw the post on sour crop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by