Sick Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by brianp, Jul 2, 2011.

1. brianp

brianp Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2010
    I have a 2.5 yr old Buff Orphington, Susan, who tends to get a little brody, but always comes out to eat or to get out of the coop a scratch around the yar. Well today I went out there earlier to collect eggs she was sitting on a egg and noticed there was a little bit of yellow liguid on the egg. It looks and feels like a busted yolk just a small amount though. Well she got up and went back to the nest when I left. 2 hours later I opened the coop to let them all out to scratch in the yard like usual. Susan didn't come out so I opened the nesting box and she came. There was no egg or any other liguid, but she seems to be off balance and making a clucking noise. Also she is opening her mouth then again all my chickens are since its pretty hot today.

We did deworm all our chickens a 3 months ago with wazine followed up with ivomectim 2 weeks later. So I dont think its worms. I did pick here up and look at her vent and her crop area both seem normal. Any help is appreciated.

2. brianp

brianp Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2010
    Update... now she is off the nest, but just standing there and panting a lot.

3. cocosandy

cocosandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Stamford, CT
    sounds like she ate the egg or another hen ate it. It happens but if you have a real egg eater, they have to go! they will go around opening and eating eggs everywhere.
    try to watch and see if anyone is pecking on eggs. make sure they have enough food and water...and collect the eggs as many times per day as you can.
    unless you see a broken egg coming out of her vent then probably someone broke an egg and they all just ate it.

4. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I would keep a good eye on her panting. One of my girls started out panting and then it turned into a chest cold and now she is isolated from the others and on antibiotics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by