Sick Chicken!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by theladyk, Oct 31, 2011.

1. theladyk

theladyk New Egg

May 13, 2011
    For the last couple of days we have been in our typical weird weather pattern really cool in the morning and really warm in the afternoon. My Brown leghorn has just not been herself lately. She hasn't laid an egg in over a month. I first thought it was because the other hens were laying larger more colorful eggs. Then I thought it was the lack of natural sunlight due to the season change. But the other hens are still laying. This AM I noticed she did not come after the cracked corn like she normally does. She runs from me rather than too me. When I would come to refill their feeders she use to come to me and try yo eat the feed out of the bucket. She doesn't look like she's molting . She looks interested in food , pecks the ground and such but doesn't jump in with the rest of the hens. She stands in a corner with her head tucked under her wing. COuld it be the weather, is she egg bound , any ideas? DO I need to seperate her. I haven't noticed any bloody diarhea. My chickens have been healthy I clean their coop weekly if not more often Somebody help?

2. rbaker0345

rbaker0345 Big Mamma Brahma

Sometimes that kind of weather, especially if it is very humid can cause coccidiosis to be a problem, but that is usually a young or new chicken problem. Have you wormed them lately? Is her breathing raspy or wet sounding? You might try just putting everyone on some tetracycline powder and making sure they get some fresh greens, even if you have to go to the store and buy them some. Broccoli and kale are the best, I put them in the food processor with some olive oil, garlic and nilla wafers. It usually perks them up if they are developing an Upper Respiratory Infection.

3. theladyk

theladyk New Egg

May 13, 2011
    i am new to chickens . Didnt know they needed to be wormed. No breathing problems are evident. They are 7months to 5 months old> I have 11 hens and 3 roos They are not free range- too many predators out here. They have a large coop (an old 10x9 shed we converted into a coop) where 13 of them stay that is attached to a 12x9 enclosed run. The coop and run are like fort knox. I am a Nurse so protecting my hens from disease and predators is top priority.The remaining roo is in a 6x6 coop right next to the main coop. the only thing that bothers me , is that none of the other chickens are displaying this behavior and she was laying . The other leghorns do not seem to be bothered by the weather change. Joanie, the brown leghorn has always been active and friendly, now she wont even let me get close to her. I will try what you have sugggested , If you can think of anything else please let me know I wil try and get some pics of her posted.
    Thanks

4. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    When they are in the coop at night- pick her up and give her a close exam. Look for mites, wounds, bumble foot, etc. Check her vent area- does she have any foamy (egg white looking) on her butt? If you want to seperate her, that would be the time to do it. No need to chase her around- just pick her off the roost... Good luck!

5. theladyk

theladyk New Egg

May 13, 2011
    Thank you for your comments and advice. i put her in a large dog kennel yesterday. She began drinking and eating.I let her out with the rst of the flock this morning and she is doing the same thing. When I looked her over yesterday I dint notice any mites, her belly did not feel abnormal, didnt notice any discharge from her vent. I dont know Guess Iw ill just keep watching her. Maybe she has gotten bullied by some of the teenage girls. (white leghorns). Thanks again. I have another question I have two polish crested int his flock. When the hens call it a night and go into the coop, these two still wanna party. WE find them perched outside on a limb, no matter what the weather is doing in the dark. We hacve to remove them from their perch and force them in the henhouse and close the door. Should we leave them out?

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

You should NOT leave them out.. No matter what you do to your run, it is not 100% predator proof.

Maybe some of the others won't let them come in, or they are caught out when it is too dark for them to see their way back into the coop. Keep doing what you are doing. Polish are very.. what's a nicer word than dumb? I caught my buff laced sitting out sleeping by the feeder last night [​IMG]

I'm sorry.. Maybe you can try some electrolytes in her water? What about some AVC? She could very well have worms. So many things could be wrong.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by