sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Henny peeny, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Henny peeny

Henny peeny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    NC
    My husband's brother has is a browns and he has a old chicken hen she sneezes and has bubbles coming out of the conner of her eyes I told him I would ask all you to see if there is something he could give her that may not cost anything I told him he could get something at the feed store for the cold she has.

Can anyone help in this matter.

MY chickens are excellent I am planing to get a guinea hen in the spring or a standard cornish hen onlt can get one only have room for one.

Anyone can tell of my husband's brother chicken and how chickens and guinea hen get along with chickens.

Rhayden

2. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    Vitamins in the water, cider vinegar added to water, antibiotics. These are the three things most folks will say to try for colds or respiratory problems.

3. Henny peeny

May 4, 2007
    NC
    where do you get the antibiotics can you get them from the feed store?? I have the aple cider vineger so how much of this. thanks for your help. This hen is my faorite I told him to take her way from his other chickens. so he said he can put her in a cage he is not as dilagent as I am I put them in side but you have to be tolerant of other people and how they handle things I offered to let him have my big dog crate to put her in but he said the cage will be ok.

Thanks muchly

Rhayden

4. 5Leepy!

5Leepy! Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Antibiotics from the feed store, yes. Apple cider vinegar, put about a tablespoon per gallon, I think. Don't use this if you are putting antibiotics in their water, though. It will kill the antibiotics. ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) is used to help build good flora/fauna in the chicken's gut which would be good for AFTER the antibiotics because the antibiotics kill off a lot of the good stuff in their digestive tract (and in people's, too). Yogurt with live cultures does the same thing. Do a search on here for respiratory infection and antibiotics and you'll find which kind to buy at the feed store.

Also make sure their coop and run is clean and dry, if it isn't the other chickens are susceptible as well.

Good Luck!

5. Henny peeny

May 4, 2007
    NC
    hey I forgot once he give them treament how long is it that he can eat the eggs he doesn't have many at this time but I forgot to ask this and tell him not to eat the eggs.

Sorry about that.

Rhayden

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by