Sick Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kelly39, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Kelly39

Kelly39 New Egg

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi, can anyone help... I have ex battery hens, one of my girls Elsie has always been a bit of a problem. I got her in October 2011 so i'm guessing she's around 2 years old, she is fed on layers pellets and has been laying fine up to last Friday when I found her to be very lerthargic, not interested in eating much but was drinking. I seperated her from the flock and tried to encourage her to eat treats, now she is not eating or drinking anything. She was pooing clear white liquid which progressed to yellow and now a green liquid. I have tried worming but not eating so not sure if she has had correct dosage. Can anyone help i'm now at a loss at what to do next.

2. newfoundland

newfoundland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    The change in poo is due to her being without food. The first thing is to rehydrate her. I had a similar situation with an ex batt. I brought her inside and using a medicine syringe, the plastic type without needle, I fed her on water mixed with a little sugar or honey. if you don't have a syringe you might try dropping the liquid onto the top of her beak and she will swallow it. If she doesn't try forcing open her beak, if she is weak she will not fight much, and carefully dribble liquid into her. You will need to do this hourly for about 4 hours by which time she will probably be resisting having her beak opened. Now you can try a little food. I diluted a soft egg yolk with warm milk and spooned this into her. After a couple of feeds of this she became a bit interested in scrambled egg and then started to eat and drink for herself. I kept her off layers pellets for a couple of days and just fed soft cooked vegetables, eggs and oatmeal made with milk and honey. I kept her inside until she was recovered and eating normally again. I would advise you to look up sour crop in the forums as there is a chance that this is the problem and there is very good advice here.

3. Kelly39

Kelly39 New Egg

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi thanks for reply, I have bought her indoors, I have been giving her water by syringe but she's still going down hill, I've tried massaging her crop as it feels a bit like a balloon but can't seem to get anything out...at the moment she looks like she won't make it through the night.

4. Kelly39

Kelly39 New Egg

Mar 20, 2012
    Sadly my little girl just passed away. She will be sadly missed but at least she had 5 happy months of freedom:(.

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

So very sorry, sounds like she may have had a crop issue.

6. newfoundland

newfoundland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    I am very sorry about your hen. Sometimes, whatever we do we cannot save them, but as you say she had space and freedom in the end. Also remember that ex batts are often quite spent when we take them on. I hope you will not be discouraged from trying again. Best wishes to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by