Sick Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kiddobear39, Mar 22, 2012.

1. kiddobear39

kiddobear39 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2012
    Poland, New York
    [​IMG]I have a barred rock hen that has been sick for about a week now. I have been looking everywhere online to see on the symtome she has been having. I thought she was egg bound cause she has not laid an egg in the pasted week. So I have been doing the warm baths and putting her in a quite place i have her sitting on a heating pad. She is drinking a little bit and eating a little bit but not like she used to. Last night my daughter and I brought her back outside with my other chicken and watched her for awhile to see if the others would bother her and they didn't. But this morning my daughter went to let them out and the rooster was chasing the barred rock her name is pebbles and plucking feather out of her so my daughter brought her back in and there is still not an egg either. So if there is someone that can try to help me out to see what is wrong with her I hat to lose her I don't see her just as a egg laying chicken but I see her as one of my pets as well sao it would break my heart if something was to happend to her and where I live there is not any vets around here to bring her to so PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!! thank you[​IMG]

2. terryg

terryg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    New England
    There are so many things that can go wrong with hens, and many you can't do anything about. You've already done the right things - isolation, observation, a warm bath. Other clues to look at are: what's her manure look like? Normal? Runny? Color? Any signs of respiratory distress? Abdomen swollen and hard or soft? Chickens get heart and liver disease, and cancer. They also get blockages and infections in their repro tracts. I've even had a hen that had food poisoning from too much vetch in the spring. She recovered after much TLC. So, keep doing the TLC, and you might want to check my web site for more advice. Start here:
    http://www.hencam.com/henblog/diagnosing-a-sick-chicken/

3. kiddobear39

Mar 19, 2012
    Poland, New York
    Thank you for reading my post and giving me some help her manure is like a white and yellow and it's running. Shre is only 7 months old I really don't know what more to do I stay up at night just to make sure she is ok so for the past week I have not got much sleep so I hope she will get better do you think that she is egg bound??[​IMG]

4. terryg

Jun 5, 2007
    New England
    Staying up isn't going to help her :) Get some sleep. I don't think she's egg bound. Runny manure is often a sign of an internal infection. She could have an impacted, infected egg in her. She could have some other infection. She could have something you can't help, like cancer (I've seen that.) All that you can do is keep her comfortable with water and food available. You could try antibiotics (an all-purpose like terramycin made for poultry and bought at feed stores.) It might not help, but it might. The sad fact of life with chickens are that some will get sick and you often can't help them. The good thing is that many of your hens will be healthy for a long time.

5. kiddobear39

Mar 19, 2012
    Poland, New York
    [​IMG]Is there anything that I can give her that I could have at home to give her for the infection cause I have no way of getting to a store until next monday and I am scared that something will happend to her before that. and should I keep her away from the other hens and rooster in the meen time

6. terryg

Jun 5, 2007
    New England
    I'd wait to get the avian antibiotic. If the other animals bully her, then keep her separate. If they leave her alone, she can go back if she's strong enough to roost. If she's not roosting, then she is very, very sick and keep her separate.

7. kiddobear39

Mar 19, 2012
    Poland, New York
    The other night when I put her in the coop with the other she did not go up on the roost she stayed in the nesting box so I guess she is very sick then I keep checking in on her and she still is drinking but is hardly eating anything her manure is white and is not as runny I just hope that she gets better so there is nothing I can give her that I could have at home???

8. kiddobear39

Mar 19, 2012
    Poland, New York
    Well my Barred Rock (Pebble) is doing a lot better she is still in the house but last nite I brought her outside to get some fresh air and she was pecking at the ground and found some worms and bugs to eat. So I hope that is a good sign that she is doing better if anybody know more on what I can do PLEASE let me know I would really appericate it you will have to read the other post to see what I wrote about her I hope to hear from some one cause I really don't want to lose mu Pebbles[​IMG]

9. kiddobear39

Mar 19, 2012
    Poland, New York
    Well my Pebble took a turn for the worse last night she was not doing well I was up till 3 this morning with her and she was just laying there and dot doing anything. When I woke up this morning she has past away[​IMG]I will miss her so so much at least now she is not suffering she is now in Gods hand rest in peace Pebbles my angel[​IMG]

10. Texokie1

Texokie1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2012
    Middle Tennessee
    I am so very sorry for your loss of Pebbles...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by