Sick Chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Belinda Swim, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Belinda Swim

Belinda Swim Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2012
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    We are new chicken parent's. We just bought 6 chicken's six day's ago. One of them seems to be sick. She is spending most of her time sitting either by her food dish or by her water dish. She has been sneezing and even sound's wheezy. She has been like this for the last 4 day's and I am really starting to worry. Should I be worried? Do you know of anything I can do to make her feel better? It's breaking my heart to see her like this.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Sorry to hear about your sick chicken. It is important that you separate her from the other 5 IMMEDIATELY. It sounds to me that she may have some respiratory disease, I'm no expert, but many of these diseases are contagious and it's better to play it safe. Post over in the emergencies and diseases section, here's a link:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

And ask the more knowledgeable members what you can give her. Good luck!

2 people like this.
  3. Belinda Swim

Dec 2, 2012
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Thank you for the advise it is much appricated.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hope you find out the problem and the cure soon [​IMG]

5. Belinda Swim

Dec 2, 2012
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Thank you. Hubby helped me build a little chicken hospital. She is away from the others has plenty of food and water, and getting lot's of love. If there's a way to nurse her back to health I'll do it. I think the man sold a sick chicken [​IMG]

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

Sometimes birds can harbor viruses and appear perfectly healthy, but the stress of moving to a new home can cause them to become ill.

7. Belinda Swim

Dec 2, 2012
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Thank you. I hope that's what's wrong and I can help her get better. She's still eating and drinking. That has to be good. She's seems to be more comfy by herself and the others seem to be doing better without her there. Funny but I think she may have been bringing them down.

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, Belina Swim, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock! Hope your chick gets better soon!!

9. Belinda Swim

Dec 2, 2012
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Thank You. I think it's a great flock to be a part of. Lots of very helpful info on here. She's resting right now. I'm trying not to bother her but am sneeking peeks. She's snuggled up to her water dish.

10. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Hi there and welcome to BYC from Darwin Australia! [​IMG] We have a sick chicken too but she is about two-and-a-half years old. what have you been feeding your chicks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by