Sick Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JKernion, Jan 7, 2013.

1. JKernion

JKernion New Egg

Jan 7, 2013
    There is something wrong with two of my chickens. They are both almost 2 years old and both victims of feather pulling by the other 3. Recently, I noticed manuer all down the backside, and thought maybe it was just because they are missing their feathers. Then, I noticed lots of liquid coming out too. It's all clear and or whitish. It almost looks like cement, but then a lot of clear liquid too. It was hard to tell what it actually was, but I think some icicles were forming? It also looks like it is steaming. A few friends and I thought it might be some sort of infection, and maybe an egg is stuck? I am on day 3 of antibiotics. I have been putting it in their water, and drenching their beaks, and I have them quarantined. I have majorly upped the protein with a chick starter and mealworms. It doesn't seem to be getting much better. Neither of them are laying. Does anyone have any idea what is going on? or had this experience before? What should I do?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

3. JKernion

JKernion New Egg

Jan 7, 2013
    I just gave one of them a long bath, and my husband stuck his hand in there and felt around. There is no bound egg. Some green poop did come out though. There is also a definite foul odor too. She is very hot to hold, she is actually steaming when outside in the cold, probably has a fever. Should I try dewormer? I don't have the money to take her to a vet and run all sorts of tests, but I just feel so bad for her.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Some vets will do a fecal test for worms and cocci for a small fee (just bring the poo)- could be cocci with the foul smell, or some sort of infection. Could also be worms.

Wormers are very hard on chickens and can kill a weakened chicken. It would be nice to get a sample tested since you are already on antibiotics.

False negatives are possible for worm fecal float test.

5. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by