sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by robinson ranch, Jan 23, 2013.

1. robinson ranch

robinson ranch New Egg

Jun 18, 2012
    Hi Folks, I didn't know where to ask for help among your members. I had 2 hens did within 2 weeks, then 3 weeks later another one now I've got 1 more sick one, who will probably die within a day or so. They all had the same symptoms-no discharge anywhere, didn't want to get up much or eat much. Would come in at night, if they'd gone outside, and sit down while the others ate, often facing a wall. Now this currently sick one can't stand up, which has happened before to the others.I'm sure she'll die within a day or so, as this has been going on for almost a week. I keep a pretty clean coop, they're locked in a large space at night, with a light on and the cold has pretty much left our area.
    Any help would be appreciated-thanks-
    judy

I've got 23 hens. They eat well, I garden organically and they get to free range in a fenced in orchard during the day. No sprays used anywhere. I dump hay from the hay barn in the orchard, mostly for the pig to sleep on, but they work it over and there may be some mouse poop in it, but otherwise, I don't see anything in their surroundings that could be causing this. They also have access to some horse manure from time to time, but they seem to love that. No citrus or onions in the compost they get.
    Any help from anyone would be so appreciated!
    Thanks so much,
    judy robinson

2. Funky Chooks

Funky Chooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
  3. Funky Chooks

Funky Chooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    Its the paralysis and depression of the Mareks description that makes me wonder.

4. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Marek's occurs in young birds commonly aged at 12-30weeks old, by the time they are older, they'll be more resistant.

Feel your sick hens body for any hard lumps or bumps. Check for mites/lice. Check for abnormal poops as well.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  5. robinson ranch

robinson ranch New Egg

Jun 18, 2012
    thanks for the reply. the currently sick chicken has no lumps that I can feel. She was still alive yesterday, which surprised me. Her eyes look normal. She made a slight squeak when I squeezed her middle. Still unable to stand and doesn't want to eat or drink. Should I isolate her, if she's not already dead when I go to the hen house?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by