Sick chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rockthecoop, Jan 27, 2013.

1. rockthecoop

rockthecoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2013
    (yes its me again)
    I have isolated a chicken from my flock because it has a runny eye and sneezes. Walnut was absolutely crazy when I tried to catch her (that is after de-freezing the lock on their pen) and she has now calmed down after I filled a dog crate with shavings and a perch. Walnut has food and water, but she is now asleep. She shakes her head a lot, and when I caught Walnut she had 'bubbles' on her eye. They are gone now, and she is not acting strange. It is just the problem with her eye. Should I make a saline solution for her, or just wait and see if it is something else??

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Runny eye, sneezing, head shaking, bubbles in her eye...all symptoms of a respiratory disease. I recommend that you cull her since you already have her seperated from the others and hopefully she didnt expose the disease to your other birds. Here's a link for you:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    Take a look at Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG,) Infectious Bronchitis (IB,) and Infectious Coryza.

3. rockthecoop

rockthecoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2013
    Well, we have been keeping her in the garage, she is still eating and drinking and is as healthy as can be exept for her eye. It is still a bit runny, and I think she shakes her head to clear the eye. Will it help if I use a saline solution?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by