Sick Chicken

doe89

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 1, 2013
I found one of my chickens 7 days ago sick. She has lost a lot of weight and had diarrhea that smelled HORRIBLE and that's an understatement. I am a nurse and her feces definitely smelled of C Diff of that I was positive. I took her to the vet, who charged me $200 for the visit, an antiemetic shot, antibiotics and a stool sample which indeed did show C Diff. I have had her isolated for 7 days now in a dog crate in my house, the temps are chilling here and she has no reserves left so being outside is not possible. The smell of her stool has improved but she still has extremely watery diarrhea. She has been getting Flagyll for 7 days now and will be done after day 10. The vet said the diarrhea could be antibiotic induced but I am afraid she is still infected and will infect the rest of my flock. .HELP! I am so lost on what to do next. She is eating and drinking, perked up and is making her usual noises. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

It's an intestinal bacteria that causes horrible foul smelling diarrhea. I have been trying to look up advice on this illness and have not had any luck. Maybe the Vet was wrong???

One of my hens has been ill for the last three or four days, as well. I have no idea what is wrong with her. The first two or three days she at least was out in the yard but I would see her standing in one place for long periods of time. She is completely lethargic and did not even leave the coop today. I noticed while ago that she does have bad diarhea too. I truly have expected to just find her dead. I can see no visible injuries on her, however she does stand around with her feathers all poofed out and when I was looking at her today, I looked under the feathers on her neck and it almost looks like her neck is just disintegrating. All my other hens seem fine. Any idea what could be going on?? Any advice is appreciated!

Is her crop impacted or is she egg bound? Both of those symptoms killed two of my hens and I didn't know what was wrong with them until it was too late.

It sounds exactly like my chicken! Maybe you should take a stool sample in to your local vet. I would not suggest taking the whole chicken as you can see above that cost me $200!!! I would say bring her inside if it's cold where you are make sure her feed and water are in reach so she does not have to move to eat and drink or even stand for that matter. I use a small pet bowl for her food and water. Watch the other chickens as well!!! Good luck, keep me posted. I am so upset about my girl, my heart is broken for her.

The vet said her crop was not full and she was not egg bound. The antibiotics will be done Monday.

She ate a little food out of my hand today and I did see her drink water. I don't want to bring her in the house if she does have anything contagious because I have house dogs and a housecat. There coop is warm though and I have a heat lamp in there.

Back
Top Bottom