Sick Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SweetJoy7, Jul 23, 2013.

1. SweetJoy7

SweetJoy7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2013
    Hello there!!
    Our chicken Laurelia is acting funny. She is all poofed up, and for the past two days has been moving slowly. When my sister and I picked her up today, she threw up both times. She lifts up her beak to swallow something as if she just drank water, without having any water. Her comb also looks a little purple.
    Thanks for your concern,
    SweetJoy7

2. RussianChickens

RussianChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2013
    Michigan (USA)
    She may have sour crop. Is her crop full looking? There are various ways to cure sour crop. Google it and loads of info will come up.

She could also have cocci. Watch for bloody poop. If this is the case treat immediately with corrid from your local farm store or TSC.

Really sounds like sour crop or something stuck in her crop or throat to me. Open her mouth and inspect for anything stuck in there. Feel the crop to see if it feels full or like something may be stuck in it.

3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Not all strains of Coccidiosis show blood,meaning your chicken could have cocci,and there will be NO blood,this a dangerous misconception.

4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Is she eating/drinking? How is her poop? Purple comb can mean respiratory issues. Is there any smell coming from her beak?

5. RussianChickens

RussianChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2013
    Michigan (USA)
    Yes but I don't believe this is the case with this bird. Not without some further info on her. But yes you are absolutely correct. I just meant watch for it as in if that happens she almost definitely had cocci.

6. SweetJoy7

SweetJoy7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2013
    She is drinking and not really eating. We don't know if she is even going to the bathroom, and yes, there is a smell coming from her beak. She throws up a lot. We think it is respiratory issues... Anything we can do for her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by