Sick Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tmac627, Aug 18, 2013.

1. tmac627

tmac627 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2013
    I have a red sex link that is acting funny. Has no energy, sits around with her eyes closed most of the day. Stayed on roost all day today and doesn't seem to have much energy. Don't know if she might be going blind, tried to feed her some worms yesterday and she would miss them when trying to peck them out of my hand which isn't like her. Going to try to separate her to check her poop but so far everything looks normal

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Her symptoms are vague, so you will need to check her crop in the morning--it should be empty. Check her stools, examine her vent, look into her eyes, check her nose and mouth. Has she been laying eggs? She might be an internal layer or be egg bound. How does she walk?

3. tmac627

tmac627 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2013
    Seems to walk OK all she does is lay around when she gets out. How do I tell she is egg bound? How do I fix it. I have had a couple small eggs out of her but nothing in four or five days. Was thinking of culling her but if she is sick might not be her fault.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by