Sick chicken

jackandjose

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 27, 2013
I have a buckeye that just sits in one spot and does nothing. She's 9 weeks old and has no visible injury or illness. This started last night and I don't think she's eaten any food or drink since. Her 4 flock mates seem fine. I'm new at chicken raising and I'm worried and don't know what to do.

I would worry about coccidiosis. Symptoms are standing puffed up, ruffled feathers, lethargic, not eating, and diarrhea--sometimes bloody. It is common in chicks under 10-12 weeks. Treatment is Corid (amprollium) 2 tsp liquid (or 1 1/2 tsp of the powder) in 1 gallon of water for 5 days. You can repeat at half the dose for 5 more days. Give vitamins after the first treatment.

Last edited:
Yes. It may not be coccidiosis, but if it is they will all get it by exposure to the poop. It will not harm them if they don't have it.

Well, my buckeye(Goldie) is walking around now eating and drinking. Not with her usual energy but she's definitely feeling better. Don't know if the medicine works that fast or she's just getting better on her own.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom