sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by danni c, Oct 3, 2013.

1. danni c

danni c Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2013
    bromsgrove uk
    Im new to BYC and desperately need help I have rescued a badly neglected hen who was riddled with red mite and lice which has now been treated, she is very under weight and is breathing heavily I have been feeding her up with boild egg peanut butter porridge with a little sugar which she seems to love her feathers are poor to say the least and keeps soiling herself I am now keeping her in the house as we have a white chicken indian game and a welsh harlequin outside and dont want her to pass anything on to them she is always very sleepy and I dont want to loose her please tell me what I can do for her

2. danni c

Oct 3, 2013
    bromsgrove uk
    Sadly poppy passed away 10 mins ago

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If she was full of lice and mites, she could well be full of worms as well. Worming can be rough on a sick chicken, but if she is infested enough, it can also be lethal. Another is an intestinal infection. Another is cancer. I'm sure there are several others.

I would at least be giving some form of probiotic, a little live culture yogurt or buttermilk if nothing else. I would offer a bit of meat, maybe a forkful of tuna or cooked hamburger, and I would offer some regular feed. Vitamins might help as well. A good quality fat in small quantities buch as olive oil might be a good idea, too, for the calories. You may not be able to save her, of course, but I wish you well!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  4. danni c

Oct 3, 2013
    bromsgrove uk
    She already passed away thanks for your advice though

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'm so sorry. Obviously, your post wasn't there when I posted. I must have been typing when you posted.

6. danni c

Oct 3, 2013
    bromsgrove uk
    Not a problem but ur advice has made me worm the others just to be sure that they dont get sick too im now feeding them on lettuce tomatoes growers pellets scrambled egg cat food porridge plus leftover veg is there anything else I should do or not do for that matter:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by