1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by imogene08, Oct 10, 2013.

1. imogene08

imogene08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    .One of my RIRS was fine this morning according to my teacher they free range and and I walked over to the coop and the chicken was in there barely moving and dropping very watery poos just dripping from her vent she could barely keep her eyes open and when she went to eat she kept trying to spit it back out and spit came out of her mouth she wobbles and just looks terrible she doesn't talk and I don't what's wrong someone said she was possibly stepped on by the cow because she was fine this morning any ideas?? She is not mine she belongs to to someone else and I was unable to take pics

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Two things that come to mind are coccidiosis or an impacted or sour crop. Symptoms of coccidiosis are lying puffed up like a ball, lethargic or "out of it," poor appetite, and diarrhea (sometimes with blood.) Corid (amprollium) 1 tsp powder or 2 tsp liquid in 1 gallon of water for 5-7 days is the treatment. Sour crop is when the crop is very round and squishy, and liquid coming out the mouth when held with the head down. Impacted crop is hard and round, and usually has something like grass wadded up inside. Here is some info on crop problems: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html

3. imogene08

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    That might be what it is because no sign of blood just very very water feces

4. imogene08

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    Watery**

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by