1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FinaticHen, Nov 22, 2013.

1. FinaticHen

FinaticHen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2012
    Queensland, Australia
    Hey everyone! I have a young, wyndotte, under a year old who I think may be sick. She has always been a tiny chicken, and when I say tiny, I mean tiny. I don't think she will ever lay because of her size! Lately she has been sitting a lot, not going into the coop at night and not getting out in the mornings! She is normally the most loving but lately she just doesn't have it in her. To get into the coop they have to fly up to a platform and the jump down, when she does manage to get up and jump down, she will stumble when she jumps. Her crop is generally full when I check, her comb is a pale pink, much paler than my other Wyndotte, who is the same age. They get garlic granolas for worming and are fed everyday. They have access to clean, fresh water. I don't understand what could be happening to my poor girl! Any suggestions? Help!

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Do her droppings look normal? Many things can cause lethargy/inactiveness, including worms, mite infestation, and Coccidiosis. Garlic will not prevent a chicken from getting worms, so that is possible. I'd check for mites and lice, as they can sap the energy of a bird.

Is she having trouble walking (you said that she stumbles when jumping-- does she just seem weak, or is she actually having problems with her legs)? Vitamin deficiencies and Marek's Disease can cause trouble walking.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry to say, but it sounds like Marek's to me, but no harm in worming with a proper wormer like fenbendazole (Safeguard or Panacur, liquid or paste)or albendazole (Valbazen) and while you're at it, treat her, everyone else and the coop for mites and lice with a proper poultry dust or 5% Sevin powder, DE doesn't work.

-Kathy

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  4. FinaticHen

FinaticHen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2012
    Queensland, Australia
    Her droppings have been looking like a light brown opposed to the other chickens who have dark droppings. What wormer do you suggest to use? She is confident on her legs and the stumbling is going away, I have been feeding her separately to ensure that her crop is full. Because she is so small the other chickens will accidentally step on her when trying to get food.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'd recommend Safeguard, as it is safe and kills most worms. Valbazen is almost as good, but is more expensive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by