Sick chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kalbert12, Dec 4, 2013.

1. kalbert12

kalbert12 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2013
    Mass
    [​IMG]
    She has a lump in her chest just like the other chicken who is laying eggs what do you think is wrong

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Is she actually acting sick, or is her only symptom the "lump"? The "lump" is likely just her crop (a place where food is stored until it can move on to the proventriculus/stomache).

3. kalbert12

kalbert12 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2013
    Mass
    She's not as happy as she was 2 days ago she just seems like she can't be bothered. We put two new hens in with then 3 days ago after we went threw the whole quarantine period and she was fine day one and now today she's seems left out I guess before the two new hens she was the lowest on the pecking order maybe she is just tired?

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She might just be tired. My lowest in the pecking order chickens often don't act quite as spry and happy as my dominant birds. However, acting tired/lethargic/different than usual could also be a sign of sickness. Have you checked her for lice and mites? Has she ever been dewormed? Do her droppings look normal?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by