sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BMD17553, Dec 5, 2013.

1. BMD17553

BMD17553 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2013
    Ok so my rooster is sneezing allot and if any of you have seen this you know that it must be miserable for the bird and i worry that it might spread so my question is are there any natural remedies or recipes that i can do to ensure the health of my flock? and also do you know what caused this and what other remedies can i use for the future if any get sick?

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Sneezing can be caused by dusty bedding or high levels of ammonia, or a respiratory disease. How long has this been going on? Are any other birds sneezing? Does he seem sick in any other way? I would personally isolate him from the other birds, just in case he has a respiratory disease. Give him electrolytes and probiotics to keep his immune system strong. You can give the other birds some too, for the same reason.

If he doesn't seem to be getting better, or gets worse, you'll need antibiotics. Some good antibiotics for respiratory diseases are Terramycin, Duramycin, and best of all, Tylan50. Not all respiratory diseases are bacterial, so antibiotics may not work. However, they will prevent secondary bacterial infections from developing due to the bird's weakened immune system.

3. BMD17553

BMD17553 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2013
    he has been sneezing for about two days and wheezing for one now i am also pretty new to chickens so could it have been something i have done????? also can pine straw be considered dusty bedding i am treating his water with some medicine i got from a friend who bought it from ta feed store?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by