Sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JeannieWish, Dec 29, 2013.

1. JeannieWish

JeannieWish Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2013
    Co Mayo. Ireland
    Hi,
    One of my chickens has become very lethargic the last 2 days, she is drinking normal but eating only very small amounts.

We gave her award bath and had a good feel to see if she was egg bound but we felt nothing.

We isolated her the first night and the next day she seemed a bit better, we waited till dusk and put her back in the coop with the others.

Today she is the same, she stands alone, away from the others. She is eating tiny amounts and is fluffing up her feathers.

She doesn't have runny eyes or nose, her breathing is ok.

I got 6 eggs yesterday and I only have 6 hens so I know she is still laying.

What do you think? I'm worried about her, she is normally so lively xxx

2. JeannieWish

Aug 18, 2013
    Co Mayo. Ireland
    Hi again,

Sorry , mis information, she hasn't laid an egg yesterday

3. AbbyTravers

AbbyTravers Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2013
    The only thing I can think of is being egg bound. Keep a close eye on her and make sure she keeps eating and drinking. Hopefully its not serious but just keep a eye on her.

4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Bring her inside,keep her warm. Do the warm water soaks again,give her a calcium or a tums tablet or liquid calcium. Keep her some place dark,keep her quiet. Do another cloacal exam,put on gloves and lubricant,see if you can feel an egg or broken pieces.

Check her for any crop issues.Any discharge from vent? Something is wrong,tricky part is to find out what the problem is.

5. JeannieWish

Aug 18, 2013
    Co Mayo. Ireland
    Hi,
    Just a quick update.

Little Lucy didn't get any better so I rang our vets and took her in to see her today.

Lucy is one of our ex battery hens and is a tough little cookie so it was so unusual to see her looking ill.

Vet examined her, she's definitely not egg bound and she showed me the correct way to examine her.

The vet gave her an anti biotic injection.

We have to keep her away from the others for 14 days and we can't eat her eggs if she lays any.

She has eaten some scrambled egg and a bit of corn , she is drinking normally and she just looks like she had picked up quite a lot. Her tail is up and she just looks a lot happier and perkier.

Thank you for replying to me and helping me out xxx

6. AbbyTravers

AbbyTravers Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2013
    Great im glad that she isn't egg bound or too seriously ill.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by