Sick Chicken

Chalo

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 6, 2014
January 20012 I was given 6 hens and a cockerel for my birthday. One of my hens has spent most of her time broody. I let her rear a clutch of 4 chicks, 3 of which turned out to be cockerels. Last week the cockerels quite suddenly became pretty lively, started mating with the chicken and crowing and fighting with each other. I noticed one of my hens was quite upset by them. She sat alone and tried to stay out of the way. This weekend I had the cockerels culled. Since then she seems very wobbly on her feet, she sometimes uses her wing to steady herself. She is still separating herself from the others. She had also got very wet in the rain. They are usually very free range but due to the constant heavy rain and the fact that I have this unwell chicken I have locked them into their chicken house and run to keep them dry. I have seen her eating and saw her drinking yesterday.

What do you think is wrong with her? And what do you advise I do.

Thank you.

Without any other symptoms, my guess was that she was weakened by being broody which results in reduced feed/water intake. Then getting wet may have made her sick. Healthy chickens can handle a wide range of temps but not sick ones. I would get her into a warm place for a while(days) about 80 degrees and give her some real good nutrition.
High protein grower feed, plain whole fat yogurt, tuna, sunflower seeds, vitamins/electrolytes in her water. Maybe even some honey or agave nectar in the warm water for a little more energy.

Thank you very much. The sickly hen is a different chicken from the broody one. sorry for the confusion.
Even so I shall do what you say.

Karen

Unfortunately Charlie my hen was put to sleep yesterday. She had egg peritonitus she was very unwell.

Very sad.

Back
Top Bottom