Sick Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Fellen, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Fellen

Fellen New Egg

Jan 20, 2014
    One of my Wyandotte hens may be sick. Most of them have bald spots (I believe from over active roosters) but I noticed a spot on this one that looks like an open wound. Sprayed with BluKote and also dropped on some Vet RX as we had mites last year. Her comb and wattles are very pale and yesterday she was in the nesting box - I put some food in there for her so she would eat and stayed while she ate it. Any ideas?

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    If its not from a over active rooster I would check for mites. Look on the bird and in the hen House because some mites live in cracks of the hen House and only come out at night to feed on the birds. Is she the only one with patches like that?

3. Fellen

Fellen New Egg

Jan 20, 2014
    No, I have a number of hens with bald spots and I'm fairly sure most of that is due to the roosters. Right now we have several too many roosters and need to cull them out. However, although some of the others have had skin that looked red none of them have any 'wounds'. And they're combs, etc. look ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by