Sick Chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicks Galore3, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    My poor little gold star is not feeling well. :( It might be because it is so cold. When she shakes her head gunk flies everywhere. She stands all puffy and looks cold. Her feathers are very damaged because my rooster is over mating her. (Small gold star + large Buff Orpington rooster = Not a good equation.) Her eyelids are rimmed white.I picked her up today took her under the heat lamp. Her breathing is deep and labored, and a little raspy. Under the warmth she just closed her eyes and went completely weak in my arms. After awhile she perked up a little and when I moved she struggled a little bit. I separated her from the others in a nice warm place with food and water with electrolytes in it. I hope she'll be okay. She is my favorite. I've nursed her through being egg bound, having an egg break inside her, and dealing with a limp all her life. Is there anything else I should do? Do you think she is sick?

2. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I think her bottom is swollen...but it isn't hard like an egg is stuck. Is there at least anything I can do to ease her pain? Like childrens tylenol?

3. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    She looks absolutely miserable but she did move near the water so I think she is drinking. She was looking at the food in interest so I moved that within reach for her too. She now refused to move at all and just stands with her eyes closed. I am getting some asprin for her tonight.

4. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    She sounds like a respiratory problem and may be in the process of dying. :hugs. Unfortunately I can't help if its respiratory, I don't have any experience with that. Some people use antibiotics. I see no one is responding. All I can suggest is to tube feed her. You said her bottom is swollen, did you do a vent examine to see if an egg is stuck.

Has she been dewormed with safeguard and for mites with sevin dust?

Hows her crop?

How old is she?

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Since she has been egg bound and had an egg break inside before, my guess is that she may have egg yolk peritonitis. Is her swollen abdomen soft or is it hard? Sometimes they can develop oviduct cancer, internal laying, or ascites (water belly.) Sometimes you can treat with antibiotics or remove fluid from the belly if there is ascites, but there is no cure except to keep them comfortable. Check her crop to see if it is empty by morning, to rule out impacted or sour crop. Here is an article about egg yolk peritonitis: http://www.avianweb.com/eggyolkperitonitis.html

6. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    pwand, I think you are right. I think she will be gone by morning. :( I don't think she has ate or drank much if anything today. I held up a water dish right by her beak and she resisted. I held a mulberry up and she took it, but she dropped it and spit out brownish fluid. Definitely not berry juice. She would take anything again. I think her abdomen is squishy. I felt/checked for an egg and I don't think there is one. She hasn't been wormed/mited since summer. (Around August.) The egg bound and egg break happened within 12 hours of each other.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  7. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Is her crop squishy, sounds like sour crop with brownish liquid.

8. Was she just a little less active before this? Sounds like egg yolk peritonitis. I've had two die of it.

9. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I'm not sure. They've all been not all to active because of the cold. I sure wish I would have been more observant. :(

10. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    RIP Crumpet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by