Sick chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by whittychick, Mar 9, 2014.

1. whittychick

whittychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    My black leghorn evie has been acting weird the last 2 days...she's not her chippy self! She's all puffed up and hardly walking around in the run. I saw she had a scab on her back but no signs of mites. The other chickens are acting fine and not bothering her. I just got rid of my rooster yesterday and she was his favorite. Should I take her out of flock? What could be wrong with her?! Please any info would help! Thanks!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Huddling can be a sign that she doesn't feel well. She could have coccidiosis, she may be egg bound, have mites, an impacted crop, or some other problem. A good thing to do would be to insert a lubed finger into her vent to check for an egg. Look her skin over for lice and mites. Confine her to a cage over night to inspect droppings. Feel her crop in the early morning when it should be mostly empty. See if she is eating by offering some eggs. Has she been laying or is she due for a molt? Think about sorming with fenbendazole or valbazen.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  3. whittychick

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    I do not see signs of mites or lice...and figured the other chickens would have them too. I sprayed them down just incase with lice and mite protector. She hasn't laid today I don't think...I figured I'd dose her with ACV and give it another day? I do has a separate coop that I could put her in. I feel awful for her!! Poor girl! How do I treat cocc.? Too late for a molt isn't it?

4. whittychick

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    And I removed their bedding and put new down! She wouldn't leave the coop to free range today...her tail is down too

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How oldis she? Most chickens develop immunity to cocci between 11 and 20 weeks, but if they move to new soil or a new chicken is added to the flock, they can be exposed to a new strain. Corid or amprollium is the treatment. Liquid dose is 2 tsp and powder is 1.5tsp per gallon of water for 5 days. Symptoms of coccidiosis are lethargy, puffing up, not eating, diarrhea (sometimes with blood), andruffled feathers at the back of the neck.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  6. whittychick

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    She's about 8-9 months old...no new soil, birds or habitat! Everything has been the same! No runny nose either. Ugggg it's annoying! I don't like one of my birds not happy!

7. whittychick

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    Her feathers seem fine on neck but on top of her tail there's almost a scab there. I keep checking and checking and no signs of anything! I'll take a pic and post it tomorrow. I know mites are tiny and but I figured I'd see some sign if them on her feet or on other birds right?

8. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    If you even suspect egg binding, DO NOT wait as egg binding can kill if left untreated.

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you ever do the vent exam to check for a stuck egg? If egg bound they won't live 2-3 days.

10. whittychick

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    Unfortunately she passed today [​IMG] so sad that I didn't being her earlier...just happened so fast thought whatever it was would pass. Thanks tho for all your advice

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by