sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ruth1189, Aug 11, 2014.

1. ruth1189

ruth1189 New Egg

Aug 11, 2014
    Hi I could really do with some advice, one of our hens has been unwell for a while now (maybe a week or so) she has been up and down while out in The yard, at times she has appeared to perk up and be well again but her symptoms are the following:
    Subdued
    Not making any noise (usually quite vocal)
    Tail pointing down
    Hasn't passed an egg for a number of days and prior to that passed soft shelled egg
    Off her food
    Passing small amount of faeces

As I Said, she has perked up at times then returned to being ill. I read that she may be egg bound and have tried to bathe her on 3 occasions and also provide some lubrication. I can't feel an egg but I'm not really sure what I'm feeling for and she does appear to be straining. I'm starting to wonder if something else may be the problem. Today she is eating a drinking but is still quiet. If she is egg bound, how long can this go on for before she passes away or we have to relieve her of the pain? Is there anything else we could try as I'd really hate to lose her without doing everything I could,

Thanks

2. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Hi Ruth. Welcome To BYC.

Sorry to hear about your sick hen. I'm too new at this to offer anything of use, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along soon. In the meantime, just to fill in a little info., how old is your hen and do her feces look normal/runny/bloody?

3. ruth1189

ruth1189 New Egg

Aug 11, 2014
    I'm not sure of her age, we were told when we got her that she's in her second year or laying but thatigjt not be right. She's a rescued battery hen but was doing well until this. Her feces is runny, much smaller amounts than she usually passes and smells more offensive. Haven't noticed any blood in there though.

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by