Sick chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MemphisHens, Sep 6, 2014.

1. MemphisHens

MemphisHens New Egg

Aug 17, 2014
    California
    I'm very new to all this, but I came home today to find one of my newer chickens acting different. She was huddled in one spot looking a little droopy. Her comb is droopier and a little more pale than usual, her tail is definitely drooping, and she just seems slow and lethargic.
    I've separated her from the others and gave her some water, which she seemed very eager to have. It's in the 90s here today so I'm not sure if maybe she's just dehydrated? Or could it be something else?
    I checked her over and everything else looks normal (But again, I am new to this so I may have missed something).

Any suggestions for what to do next or remedies to try would be so appreciated. Thank you!

2. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    I hope some of the veterans get on here to help give sage advise.
    Just wondering if they will want more information?
    Examples:
    How long have you had her? Is she new to the rest of the flock?
    Where is she in the pecking order (low and getting picked on) ?
    No visible injuries or anomalies after you inspected her beak to toe? Is her crop 'normal'?
    Is she an egg layer (egg bound) ?
    Can you track the condition of her stools? (Coccidiosis, internal or external parasite infestation)
    Any other visible signs or symptoms? Sneezing, coughing, raspy breath, labored breathing, watery eyes, diarrhea, is she eating? I just gave myself a headache, so don't wish to do the same to you...

I am learning right along with you so sorry for all questions and no answers, but I do NOT want to disseminate erroneous info or advise...just want to be part of a solution vs. another problem...
    Will look forward to any update you may give.

We're here for you.

3. gracielouwho

gracielouwho Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2014
    I have a chicken who is limping. I don't see any bumble foot but this is what she looks like I am very worried about her. This is all on that leg and her underside of her breast. It looks dry and almost scabby. She is a 24 week old barred rock hen [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  4. MemphisHens

MemphisHens New Egg

Aug 17, 2014
    California
    I believe she is a year old, I have had her for just over a month (she came in with four others). I felt her crop and it felt empty, so most likely not eating?
    No visible injuries.
    She is a layer.
    She is mid pecking order.
    No sneezing, raspy breath, watery eyes etc.
    I am watching now to see what her stools are like, but she hasn't had any since I brought her in.

I'm going to go give her a once over again and double check the things you've listed. Thanks!

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She could have been kept away from the water by some of the others, and is dehydrated because of the heat. Or because she is on new ground and around new chickens she may have developed coccidiosis from a strain she hasn't developed immunity to yet. If you have a cage or box, I would confine her with food and water on an old towel or a puppy pad, so that you could watch her droppings. Electrolytes cold be added to the water if you have them. Offer her some chopped scrambled egg, since most chickens will eat that well, or put some water into her feed, and make it like oatmeal. They will usually devour that unless very ill. Symptoms of coccidiosis are lethargy, standing puffed up or hunched over, diarrhea with mucus or blood, and poor appetite. Corid (amprollium) is the treatment, and can be found in the cattle meds at feed stores.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. It's confusing when someone posts for help on someone elses thread. Could you possibly start your own thread here https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/threads/add/forumId/10 and include all of the information you can think of,
    and you will get more help that way.

7. MemphisHens

MemphisHens New Egg

Aug 17, 2014
    California
    Well, she loved the egg and has drank some more water.

No droppings yet.

I've been reading around and I'm curious about being egg bound? From what I was reading, it seems to fit her symptoms and my husband said when he went to check on her, she looked like she was trying to lay and egg standing up (muscles were contracting). We've got her in a nice quiet warm spot and my husband went out to get some calcium and other supplies.
    When we first got the hens, one had an egg break inside and we took her to the vet to get her cleared out and she recovered remarkably well, but she and the others went nuts over the oyster shells we had out and I'm wondering if they all didn't have a bit of a calcium deficiency when they came here? (Which I am seeing can contribute to being egg bound?)

Just trying to bounce ideas around and figure this out. I truly appreciate all the input. [​IMG]

8. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    What about a warm 'sitz' bath to see if she may be needing to pass an egg...just wondering if you ran into that sentiment too?

9. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    oops... I duped it again...

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by