Sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pingpong, Nov 23, 2014.

1. pingpong

pingpong Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2014
    My friend has a very sick red female chicken. She will not move and will not eat or drink. She's about 2 years old. I'm not by her right now. I'm just relating all this information. Can anyone give me ideas on what's wrong with her.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  2. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Need more information... Sorry...
    How long has this been happening? Any wounds, trauma, new birds, feed changes, what's the birds poop look like, when was the last egg laid, how's the crop look? Any bad smells, nasal discharge, runny eyes?
    Good luck to your friend and the hen...

3. pingpong

May 10, 2014
    I will ask him for more info. No feed changes. No new birds. No sores. She's just laying there all puffed up.

4. hennible

Is she broody? If that's not possible Check for egg binding. Does she peck at him if he tries to touch her?

5. pingpong

May 10, 2014
    no. She just lays there. Will not do anything

6. Hemedinger

Hemedinger New Egg

Nov 23, 2014
    See my report under Hemedinger. Zinc was the answer.

7. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

So much more info is needed. There are many, many things this could be. Has she been checked carefully for mites/lice? Has she ever been dewormed? How is her body condition, is she thin? Check her lower abdomen, see if she feels bloated or swollen there. Has she been a regular layer up to this point?

8. pingpong

May 10, 2014
    I'm trying to get more info from him now. He says so far that she is laboring to breathe. Eyes are closed and no discharge from her nose. As soon as he gets back to me I'll post it. Thanks so far.

9. hennible

That's sounds bad ( eyes closed )

10. pingpong

May 10, 2014
    He just said it's been going on for about 2 weeks now. She was bloated but now thin. Very runny poop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by