1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by colleen bean, Nov 26, 2014.

1. colleen bean

colleen bean New Egg

Nov 26, 2014
    i have a sick chicken. the following is the long story. about a month ago one of my chickens got attacked by a predator, when i checked on the others, two where on the floor of the coop and not the roost. (they usually roost). The next morning i notice the two that did not roost, did not look well, droopy wings, kinda moving slow and, sleeping a lot. by the end of the day one died. i started to give the other probiotic, the other one died about 3 days later. I did cut her open, the only thing that looked abnormal was a large very green spleen, no worms or anything. A day later another chicken started with the same symptoms, i started her on probiotic, and also cocci free, she would perk up for a little bit then go down hill again, this has been going on for a month, now my rooster doesn't look well. please help. The first hen that died had one eye swollen shut, the current hen that is sick as an eye swollen shut and dirty nostrils. all hens about 2 years old, not currently laying,(i thought because of change in season.) both the roaster and hen are eating and drinking well. Both the rooster and the hen sound funny when the try to cluck. the rooster has not crowed in days.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

2. Double Laced

Double Laced Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2012
    Yorkshire
    Hi,

Does the swollen eye have what looks like bubbles in the corners?

Is the bird gaping ( gasping for breath) or have rough breathing.?

Whereabouts are you? this could be a mycoplasma infection.

Other symptoms are sneezing and occasionally hot joints. birds need to be treated before the infection gets into the hollow bones or damages the lung tissue as this is always fatal.

stress can bring it on.

Treatment is tylan, advanced, when the eyes are weeping etc, needs injectable tylan. gaping is usually untreatable and the bird should be culled as treatment is less effective in older birds.

Treat the whole flock you have left as it is infectious.

3. colleen bean

colleen bean New Egg

Nov 26, 2014
    no coughing, sneezing, her eyes does ooze, no gasping for breath. i'm in Indiana. haven't notice bubbles in eye. any other ideas.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    " The first hen that died had one eye swollen shut, the current hen that is sick as an eye swollen shut and dirty nostrils. all hens about 2 years old, not currently laying,(i thought because of change in season.) both the roaster and hen are eating and drinking well. Both the rooster and the hen sound funny when the try to cluck. the rooster has not crowed in days."

The symptoms you describe are of a respiratory disease--swollen eye, dirty nostrils, change in voice, and not crowing. To me it does sound like possible mycoplasma or MG as was previously suggested. These diseases can make carriers of your flock. Testing can be done to confirm which disease you are dealing with here: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf
    You also can try treatment with Tylan or a tetracycline drug. Here is a link to read about common respiratory diseases and symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

5. colleen bean

colleen bean New Egg

Nov 26, 2014
    thank you ill see what fits

6. colleen bean

colleen bean New Egg

Nov 26, 2014
    i found the tylan but it makes like 50 gallons at a time can i mix in smaller batches

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Tylan Soluble Powder dosage is 1 teaspoonful per gallon of water, or 1/4 tsp per quart. This is for any age or size chickens.

8. colleen bean

colleen bean New Egg

Nov 26, 2014
    thank you!!

9. sueiris

sueiris Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Southern New Jersey
    can i give this orally with a syringe as well?

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Yes.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by