Sick Chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dg14, Dec 21, 2014.

1. dg14

dg14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2014
    Went to go feed this morning my chickens were excited to see me and i hear one of my hens sneezing...? it was alot too. what should i do to keep her from getting worse? there is no blockage in her system no watery eyes. eyes are clear. any antibiotic recomendation or eye drops if her eyes were to start watering?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sneezing can happen because of dust, powdery feed, and ammonia fumes in the coop. Keep watching to see if she continues to sneeze which could be a symptom of viral infectious bronchitis or from a bacterial or mycoplasma respiratory disease. Watch for bubbles or drainage in eyes, nasal mucus, noisy rattley breathing, or swelling around an eye or the face. Makes sure that your could has good overhead ventilation for air exchange and to let out moisture while preventing a direct draft on the chickens. Look for wet or moldy areas that can cause fungal diseases. Here is a link to read about common diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. dg14

Dec 1, 2014
    Okay Thank you! Anything else i should know?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The link gives antibiotic suggestions for each disease, but they won't treat viruses, except to prevent a secondary bacterial infection which can be common in respiratory diseases. Tylan and oxytetracycline are good antibiotics, but I would not use them if sneezing was your only symptom.

5. dg14

Dec 1, 2014
    Yeah lol im new to this. i have experience but this is the first time so yeah. i think it was just windy shes fine today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by