"Sick" chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenDORK, Jan 28, 2015.

1. ChickenDORK

ChickenDORK Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2015
    Hello all, I have an almost 2 year old Black Star hen that has developed a hard-ish mass in the vent area. I have fed her oil, massaged it, etc, but nothing has worked. If she had been egg bound, she would be dead by now... and she also poops, so she is not constipated... could it be worms? Could it be a tumor? She is eating/drinking well, so in the respect she is fine, but she can hardly walk- it's more like a waddle, she stands up with her vent toward the ground when she, uh, waddles. Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much! :D

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    What breed is she?

What kind of food does she eat? Does she get table scraps?

Do hear any labored breathing or respiratory distress? Wattles and comb a good color?

Does she appear to be in pain when you examine her and press it? Any evidence of picking or peck wounds?

Has she been laying? Has she stopped? If she's waddling like a penguin, could she be laying internally?

Pictures always help, and please let us know if any other symptoms come up.

MrsB

3. ChickenDORK

Jan 20, 2015
    Breed: Black Star- it's a Barred Rock/Rhode Island Red cross. She eats regular laying mash from the coop near us, and we also give them vegetables and bread scraps. Now that I think about it, when I checked on her earlier, she has labored breathing. Her comb is a pretty good color, though the last time I checked on her she had bee pecked on her comb, wattles, and face. Her breathing gets a little more labored when I press on it, she has not been laying; in fact, my girls are taking it off this winter, at least most of them are (I live in Wisconsin). I don't think she is laying internally, how would I know? And also, I will show some pictures soon for you. Thanks so much. Also, I like our signature, the Bible verse and all.
    Thanks! :)

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds like it possibly could be internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis. Symptoms can include walking upright, waddling, sitting a great deal, diarrhea or laying cooked egg material.Tumors are also common in chickens. Labored breathing may also occur, especially if there is ascites or fluid in the belly from heart or liver failure. Here are a few links to read:
    http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx
    http://scoopfromthecoop.nutrenaworld.com/tag/laying-issues/
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/526089/egg-yolk-peritonitis

5. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    it sounds if she is laying internal. I had three red star sex links and at two years of age lost all three to internal laying.

6. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    You did mention the breed in your first post. Sorry. I must have overlooked it.

So far, the symptoms you are sharing sounds like she is laying internally. The walking like a penguin bit is pretty spot-on.

She could also have a cyst on her ovary, a tumor, or have heart disease or fatty liver disease. Does her abdomen feel like it's full of water, or is it just the one hard mass?

And thanks. I like my signature, too. ;)

MrsB

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  7. ChickenDORK

Jan 20, 2015
  8. ChickenDORK

Jan 20, 2015
    Hard mass. What should I do? It's hard but also soft in places.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  9. ChickenDORK

Jan 20, 2015
    Is she just gonna die? :,(

10. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    I don't know. :( I do know this can happen often to power-laying hybrid breeds.

I think antibiotics can treat it, but it can happen again at any time. I have no info on antibiotic or dosage for internal laying.

I'm sorry.

MrsB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by