Sick chicken

pelkachickens

Hatching
Feb 17, 2015

I'm new to raising chickens and have had my little chicken Elsa ( picture link above) for about a year. About a week ago her appetite began decreasing and her back tail kind of "humped over". Ever since then she's been very lethargic, her crown has flopped over and she stopped laying eggs. I cleaned her vent, checked for lice and mites ( gave her a nice dust bath) but she still just wants to sit all day in a corner. My other chicken races to see me every time I open the door, excitedly jumping for watermelon and broccoli but not Elsa. I gave her some really tiny pieces of watermelon this morning but she took one bite and she seemed to have difficulty swallowing. She walks out of her coop come morning, she's not broody ( already went through that phase), but she looks very fluffy all the time and moves very slowly. And this morning she's having a hard time walking. I would appreciate any thoughts or advice, it just breaks my heart to see her this way. Thank you for any advice

That is exactly what my chickens story is right now. I have given her a warm bath and have tried rubbing her tummy. Her tail and all the symptoms are exact!

Check her crop . If she doesn't eat, it should be empty. You need to know that the food is moving along. Feel her abdomen. Is it hard and large? Or water filled?
Check her internally for an egg that may be stuck. Yes, oil and a finger.

Have you ever wormed her? Worms can suck the life right out of them.

Don't rule out Merek's. It can be fast and the paralysis can be late. I have read you may be able to save her with tubefeeding and tubing fluids. They don't have to show paralyisis to be Merek's.

Don't wait and see...
-A

Last edited:
X2 on crop issues, egg bound, or worms. They can all cause these issues. Cocci might be an issue as well. I would start with the crop. Does it feel hard or squishy?

I read about something called egg yolk peritonitis, since she hasn't laid in over a week and her symptoms seem to match this particular illness, I'm afraid this might be the case. I'm going to check her abdomen and check to see if an egg is possible stuck and give her a warm bath this morning, I want to really cover all my bases. Thank you again for all the advice and help

I would certainly check for an egg that's stuck since she walks funny.
I know that chickens do take breaks from laying with just their biological reasons. Out of 100 plus chickens, I have only had one that laid 366 eggs a year. But at 3 years old she died from what looked like cardiac failure.

Back
Top Bottom