sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dixie Chick50, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Dixie Chick50

Dixie Chick50 New Egg

Feb 24, 2015
    I also have a "Buff" chicken that cannot hold her head up. read your forum responses and followed the directions given I'm only on the first dose and I have the chicken in a large box on my screened in back porch.( I live in
    Florida) I've given her water with a dropper. My question is: can I feed her "Boost or Ensure" with a dropper to make sure she is feed. she's been listless for about a week, but this morning she couldn't even lift her head or get up. I've been keeping her separate from the rest of my flock in my small coop for "chicks" during the day but at night putting her back in the main coop because the other chicken wouldn't roost without her. This morning I thought she was dying she couldn't stand up or lift her head and apparently laid an egg right there on the floor. Any help would be appreciated

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. What did she look like a week ago when she first got sick? Was she eating or having diarrhea, and was she standing around puffed up? I would feed her water with electrolytes and vitamins now, and learn how to tube feed her. When she gets her fluids replaced then you can use KayTee baby bird food to feed her through a crop tube. A vet could sell you a feeding tube, but you can make one out of aquarium tubing, rounded off on one end with a lighter to soften sharp edges. Add a 60 ml or cc syringe, and you can tube feed her fluids twice a day. Worms, coccidiosis, egg binding, and many other things could be wrong. Just not eating or drinking enough in a week could make her that sick.

3. Dixie Chick50

Dixie Chick50 New Egg

Feb 24, 2015
    she has been acting funny for a while now over a month staying off alone, away from the rest of the flock plus they all have been bullying her, pecking at her when I throw out feed and treats, actually I thought that was the problem at first. But She has become very timid over several weeks and the last four days have taken on a major change. She snuggles up to me when I pick her up, which is often and I have to be careful setting her back down as she does not always put her feet down. now she can't even stand up or lift her head. I've been feeding her vitamins E & B, polyvisol, water and yogurt with a dropper since I found her on the floor of the coop at 7:30 this morning. yes she was eating and no diarrhea

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? She could just be so low in the pecking order that she hasn't been getting enough to eat or drink, but the others could sense that she is weak, and that is why they are picking on her. Mareks disease and toxins such as lead shot, and the one found in botulism from decaying animal or plant remains, can cause weakness of the neck, as well as legs and wings. But dehydration can as well. Casportpony has a good series of threads to read about tube feeding if you search at the top of the page for "go team tube feeding."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by