Sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Little Dragons, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Little Dragons

Little Dragons Out Of The Brooder

Hi, my step mother has an EE hen that's not doing to good. Her girls found the hen this morning. she was not moving very much and seemed really weak and had a lot of poop on her butt (I did not see the hen because we live in different places). Their mother cleaned her up and put her in one of the nesting boxes. I just came over to check on her and she doesn't look too good. The hens comb is purple, her shoulders are hunched forward and she is shivering. It is cold out but none of the other chickens are shivering. [​IMG]
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would bring her inside where it is warm, and give her vitamin/electrolyte water (SaveAChick, and other brands.) Worms, coccidiosis, or vent gleet may be possible problems. I would check inside her vent with a rubber glove to make sure she is not egg bound. Check her crop for impaction. Look her over especially under the vent for signs of lice or mites. Her comb looks to have a fungal infection called favus, which can be treated by applying Monistat 7 or Lotrimin daily.

3. Little Dragons

Ok, we just brought her in and I don't think she is egg bound. She is squishy around her vent area, not hard, and feels like she is swollen or bloted. She does not smell very good. [​IMG]
    She did not resist when we put her in the water like I was expecting. She is stiff. I think this is worse than what I initially. Please help [​IMG]

4. Little Dragons

She just died. [​IMG]
    Her head started twitching and rolling. Then she stopped moving and liquid started dripping out of her mouth and eye.

5. Little Dragons

My step mother told me that something similar happened to her Rhode Island Red about 6 months ago. She got really stiff and felt squishy around her vent. She was paralyzed from the head down and didn't eat or drink very much before she died a day or two later.
    Can anyone help me figure out what this is? I'm worried it might be contagious and I don't want any more of her chickens to die.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you haven't buried her, you may want to refrigerate her body, and send it in to the state vet for a necropsy to look for Mareks disease or other diseases. I would never recommend bathing a sick chicken since it causes more stress. Instead if you suspect one being egg bound and they are weak, place them in a warm humid room, such as a spare bathroom with the hot water running. A squishy vent could be a sign of ascites (fluid in the belly) from heart or liver failure. Her cent area looks bare and irritated like vent gleet, but that may have been because she was wet in the picture.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by